Class 1 Touring Cars
Class 1 Touring Cars was a production-based touring car racing category introduced by the FIA in 1993 along with Class 2 Touring Cars, the latter officially becoming known as Super Touring cars from 1995. Class 1 permitted more liberal modifications to the vehicles than those allowed for Class 2 cars.
Class 1 regulations restricted engines to a maximum of six cylinders, 2.5 litres capacity and four valves per cylinder. The basic unit had to be derived from a production engine made in quantity by the same manufacturer as the car, although it did not have to be from the same model as that being raced and could be extensively modified. All-wheel drive, traction control, anti-lock brakes and electronically controlled differentials were permitted. Aerodynamic aids were free below the wheel centreline and, from 1995, suspension systems could be purpose built rather than production based.
Class 1 Touring Cars contested the Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft series from 1993 to 1995, the International Touring Car Series in 1995  and for the International Touring Car Championship in 1996.
Only three manufacturers, Alfa Romeo, Mercedes-Benz and Opel, competed in Class 1 during the short history of the category and the withdrawal of Alfa Romeo and Opel from the International Touring Car Championship at the end of 1996 effectively spelt the end of the class.
List of FIA Class 1 homologated touring cars
|C1-001||Mercedes-Benz||C-Class||220D||April 1, 1996||December 31, 2004|
|C1-002||Alfa Romeo||155||T.Spark 2.0S 16V||April 2, 1996||January 1, 2004|
|C1-003||Alfa Romeo||155||T.Spark 2.0S 16V||April 1, 1996||December 31, 2003|
|C1-004||Opel||Calibra||Color Edition||April 1, 1996||December 31, 2004|
- Super Touring – FIA Class 2 Touring Cars
- Deutsche Tourenwagen Meisterschaft – The German Touring Car Championship
- Alfa Romeo 155 DTM Retrieved from www.ultimatecarpage.com on 19 November 2009
- European Touring Car Championships, Automobile Year, 1995/96, page 206
- European Touring Car Championships, Automobile Year, 1995/96, page 207
- DTM History 1984–2008 Archived 2010-05-04 at the Wayback Machine Retrieved from www.dtm.com on 19 November 2009
- 1995 ITCS schedule and standings Retrieved from www.motorsport-archive.com on 19 November 2009
- 1996 ITCC schedule and standings Retrieved from www.motorsport-archive.com on 19 November 2009