Cleveland City Council
Cleveland City Council
|November 7, 2017|
|November 2, 2021|
|Cleveland City Hall|
601 Lakeside Avenue, Room 220
Cleveland, OH 44114
|Cleveland City Council Website|
Cleveland City Council is the legislative branch of the government of the City of Cleveland in Ohio. Its members are elected from 17 wards to four-year terms. The number of council members has decreased over the years. In 1885 there were 50 council members, by the 1960s there were 33, and in 1981 Cleveland voters approved reducing council to 21 members.
In November 2008, Cleveland voters passed a charter amendment linking the size of City Council to the city's population. City Council approved a redistricting plan in March 2009 reducing the number of wards to 19 at the start of the 2010–2013 term. Thereafter, the number of wards will be tied to the population identified in the decennial United States Census.
Population decreases identified in the 2010 Census resulted in the elimination of two wards, reducing the number of members to 17. In March 2013, City Council approved new ward boundaries that went into effect in January 2014. Council voted to amend the boundaries on April 17, 2013.
City Council members
|5||Phyllis Cleveland||Majority Leader|
|13||Kevin Kelley||Council President|
- Castele, Nick (November 7, 2013). "Cleveland Councilman Kevin J. Kelley Replaces Martin Sweeney as Council President". WCPN. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Gomez, Henry J. (May 9, 2009). "Phyllis Cleveland to become Cleveland City Council's new majority leader". The Plain Dealer. Retrieved November 14, 2017.
- Van Tassel, David D.; Grabowski, John J., eds. (1997-06-11). "Cleveland City Council". The Encyclopedia Of Cleveland History. Cleveland, Ohio: Cleveland Bicentennial Commission. ISBN 0-253-33056-4. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- Gomez, Henry J. (2008-11-04). "Cleveland City Council reduction close to approval". The Plain Dealer. Cleveland, Ohio. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- Gomez, Henry J. (2009-03-23). "Cleveland Council adopts new ward boundaries". The Plain Dealer. Cleveland, Ohio. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- "Find My Ward". Cleveland City Council. Archived from the original on 2007-05-14. Retrieved 2009-04-04.
- Atassi, Leila (March 26, 2013). "Proposed Cleveland City Council ward map approved; Cimperman, Polensek vote 'No'". The Plain Dealer. Cleveland, Ohio. Retrieved April 1, 2013.
- Atassi, Leila (April 17, 2013). "Cleveland City Council approves another set of ward boundaries, map passes in 14 to 4 vote". The Plain Dealer. Cleveland, Ohio. Retrieved April 17, 2013.
- "Council Members". Cleveland City Council. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- "Council President Kevin J. Kelley". Cleveland City Council. Retrieved April 13, 2016.
- Cleveland City Council (official website)