|Private subsidiary company of an Industrial and Provident Society|
|Products||Gas and electricity supply|
|Parent||The Midcounties Co-operative|
Co-op Energy is a British energy supply company based in Warwick that began trading in 2010. It is an alternative to the Big Six energy suppliers and, given that its parent is Midcounties Co-operative, it is the only co-operative supplier in the market.
A problematic upgrade to its online customer service and billing system in 2015 resulted in numerous problems and a large backlog in dealing with issues. By the end of 2015 it was the most complained about utility company, measured in complaints per thousand customers. By the end of 2016 these issues had been resolved and the company was paying out £1.8 million in compensation to customers.
In November 2016 Co-op Energy announced that it would take on all 160,000 customers of collapsed firm GB Energy on their existing price tariff. Ofgem said it had chosen Co-op Energy after "a competitive process to get the best deal possible". All GB Energy's staff were to be transferred on the same terms to Co-op Energy.
In May 2018 Co-op Energy announced that it had acquired Flow Energy, which had approximately 130,000 customers at the time. Co-op Energy said that Flow Energy would remain a separate brand within Co-op Energy and keep its own tariffs.
- "www.electricityinfo.org". Archived from the original on 2014-04-23.
- "Winners of the Which? Awards 2012 are revealed - June - 2012 - Which? News". www.which.co.uk. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Co-operative Energy looks to future with User Chooser". 2014-07-09. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Co-operative Energy wins European award for empowering customers - Co-operative News". 2015-06-18. Retrieved 2016-07-19.
- "Co-op Energy faces customer backlash following bungled system upgrade". Moneysavingexpert.com. 2015-03-25. Retrieved 2015-06-25.
- "Co-op Energy: regulator sets sights on the new worst culprit for billing bungles". The Telegraph. Retrieved 27 January 2016.
- "Co-op Energy to pay £1.8 million compensation to customers over service". The Evening Express. Archived from the original on 31 October 2016. Retrieved 30 October 2016.
- "Co-op Energy to take on GB Energy customers". BBC News. 29 November 2016.
- "Co-op Energy acquires Flow". Cooperative Energy. 2 May 2018.