Colegrove, Los Angeles
|Time zone||UTC-8 (PST)|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-7 (PDT)|
The settlement was founded by Cornelius Cole on land deeded to him by Henry Hancock that had once been part of the Rancho La Brea. A post office was first built at Colegrove in 1884, predating the post office in Hollywood by several years. Colegrove was named for Cole's wife, Olive Colegrove Cole, and the Cole family gave their name to several streets in the Colegrove area, including Cole St., Willoughby Ave., Eleanor St. and Seward St.
Colegrove was annexed to Los Angeles in 1909.
In more recent years, the area is sometimes referred to as South Hollywood.
- Nathan Masters (September 27, 2013). "Hooray for...Colegrove? Remembering Hollywood's Forgotten Neighbor".
- "A Brief History of the John C. Fremont Branch Library". Los Angeles Public Library.