|Founded||1849as Detroit Savings Fund Institute|
|Headquarters||Comerica Bank Tower|
Dallas, Texas, U.S.
Number of locations
| Curtis C. Farmer CEO|
Ralph Babb Jr. Executive Chairman
Muneera S. Carr, CFO
|$0.743 billion (2017)|
|Total assets||$71.567 billion (2017)|
|Total equity||$7.963 billion (2017)|
Number of employees
|Footnotes / references|
Comerica Incorporated is a financial services company headquartered in Dallas, Texas. It has retail banking operations in Texas, Michigan, Arizona, California and Florida, with select business operations in several other U.S. states, as well as in Canada and Mexico.
Comerica is the largest U.S. commercial bank headquartered in Texas and is on the list of largest banks in the United States.
The company's largest offices are in Cincinnati,Philadelphia, Detroit, Livonia, Auburn Hills, Michigan and Dallas.
Its name changed to The Detroit Savings Bank in 1871 and to The Detroit Bank in 1936, being one of the few area banks to survive the Great Depression. In 1956, the company merged with Birmingham National Bank, Ferndale National Bank and Detroit Wabeek Bank and Trust Company to form The Detroit Bank & Trust Company. In 1973, it formed a holding company, DetroitBank Corporation. The current name was adopted in 1982.
In 1982, Comerica entered the Florida market. In 1983, it acquired its hometown rival, Bank of the Commonwealth of Michigan. It entered the Texas market in 1988 when it acquired Grand Bancshares.
In 1991, the bank expanded to California by acquiring Plaza Commerce Bancorp and InBancshares.
On March 6, 2007, the company announced its decision to relocate its corporate headquarters to Dallas to move closer to its customer base in the Sun Belt. In August, the company announced that it selected 1717 Main Street in Downtown Dallas. The company executives began moving into 1717 Main Street in November 2007 and the building was renamed Comerica Tower.
In January 2008, the United States Department of the Treasury selected the company as the issuing bank for its Direct Express debit card program. The federal government uses the Express Debit product to issue electronic payments, such as Social Security benefits, to people who do not have bank accounts (unbanked).
In 2017, the bank announced plans to reduce its office space by 500,000 square feet, saving $7 million in 2018.
- "Comerica Incorporated 2017 Form 10-K Annual Report". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- "Comerica Celebrates 150 Years of Banking" (Press release). Comerica. October 20, 1998 – via PRNewswire.
- "Comerica: 158 years in Detroit". Crain's Detroit Business. March 6, 2007. Retrieved February 1, 2018.
- "Building Plan In Detroit Starts Debate". The New York Times. August 22, 1990.
- Bates, James (September 21, 1989). "Foray Has Begun: Michigan Firm to Buy Bank In State". Los Angeles Times.
- Quint, Michael (October 29, 1991). "Banks Plan A Merger In Detroit". The New York Times.
- "Comerica, Rival Will Merge in Stock Swap". Los Angeles Times. Associated Press. October 29, 1991.
- "Comerica to Sell Illinois Banking Unit to ABN Amro". The New York Times. March 20, 1996.
- Shea, Bill (February 24, 2016). "Comerica signs sponsorship deal for new Red Wings arena". Crain's Detroit Business.
- "MBNA America Bank and Comerica Form Alliance" (Press release). MBNA Corporation. January 26, 2000 – via PRNewswire.
- "Comerica Completes Imperial Bancorp Acquisition" (Press release). Comerica. January 30, 2001 – via PRNewswire.
- Anderson, Mark (November 21, 2000). "Comerica buys Imperial Bank, enters Sacramento market". Sacramento Business Journal.
- "Comerica to Relocate Corporate Headquarters to Dallas" (Press release). Comerica. March 6, 2007 – via PRNewswire.
- Gupta, Poornima (March 6, 2007). "Comerica moving headquarters to Dallas from Detroit". Reuters.
- Hethcock, Bill (December 9, 2007). "Large ad agency cites area's vibrancy in decision to return". Dallas Business Journal.
- "U.S. Treasury Introduces Direct Express® Debit Card for Social Security Payments" (Press release). U. S. Department of the Treasury. June 10, 2008.
- Brandon, Emily (June 11, 2008). "Social Security Debit Cards: 7 Things You Need to Know". U.S. News & World Report.
- "Comerica Incorporated Completes Acquisition of Sterling Bancshares, Inc" (Press release). Comerica. July 28, 2011 – via PRNewswire.
- Nicholson, Chris V. (January 18, 2011). "Comerica to Buy Sterling Bancshares for $1 Billion". The New York Times.
- Prior, Jon (April 25, 2017). "Comerica to trim office space by 500,000 square feet". Dallas Business Journal.
- Business data for Comerica:
- "Curtis C Farmer Named Comerica's CEO (Press Release)". Comerica. April 23, 2019.