Consulate General of South Korea, Chennai
|Consulate General of the Republic of Korea, Chennai
주 첸나이 대한민국 총영사관
தென் கொரியத் துணைதூதரகம், சென்னை
Emblem of South Korea
|Ministry of Foreign Affairs|
|Inaugural holder||Kyungsoo Kim|
|Formation||7 February 2014|
The Consulate General of South Korea for Southern India is one of the missions of South Korea in India focusing on Korean interests in the region. It is located in Chennai and its jurisdiction includes the states of Tamil Nadu, Karnataka, Kerala and the union territory of Puducherry. The other South Korean missions in the India is the Embassy of the Republic of Korea at New Delhi and the Consulate General of the Republic of Korea in Mumbai, in addition to an honorary consulate office in Kolkata. The current consul general of the Chennai Consulate is Kim Hyung Tae. He was preceded by Kyungsoo Kim, the first consul general of the Chennai Consulate and the first head of mission since the establishment of the Mission in 2014.
The office of the Consulate General of South Korea at fifth floor of Bannari Amman Towers located at 29 Dr. Radhakrishnan Salai, Mylapore.
Soon after the economic liberalization by the Indian government in the 1990s, several Korean companies started setting up their bases in and around Chennai, chiefly in the automotive and electronic sectors. By 2014, there were about 4,000 Koreans staying in and around the city and there were large firms including Hyundai Motors, Samsung Electronics, Lotte India and Doosan Heavy Industries, among others, functioning in the region, in addition to about 150 small and medium enterprises run by Koreans. There was an honorary consulate of South Korea functioning at 12 Khader Nawaz Khan Road, Nungambakkam before the establishment of the Consulate General. However, the growing Korean population in the region demanded a full-fledged office in South India. The Consulate General was inaugurated on 7 February 2014 by the then Governor of Tamil Nadu, Konijeti Rosaiah. Commencement of visa processing services by the Consulate would begin on 17 February 2014, when visa applications from Tamil Nadu, Kerala, Karnataka, and Puducherry states would be processed directly at the consulate.
List of Consul Generals
- Kyungsoo Kim (7 February 2014–2017)
- Kim Hyung Tae (2017–present)
- List of diplomatic missions in Chennai
- List of diplomatic missions of South Korea
- Foreign relations of South Korea
- India–South Korea relations
- Foreign relations of India
- "Korea-ROK". Ministry of Foreign Affairs, Republic of India. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- Anand, N. (7 February 2014). "Governor inaugurates Korean Consulate". The Hindu. Chennai: The Hindu. Retrieved 9 February 2014.
- "Korea's Consulate General Opened in Chennai". The New Indian Express. Chennai: Express Publications. 8 February 2014. Retrieved 9 February 2014.