Queens County Farm Museum
The Jacob and Catherine Adriance Farmhouse
|Location||73-50 Little Neck Parkway, Queens, New York 11004|
|Architectural style||Greek Revival, Colonial, Dutch Colonial|
|NRHP reference #||79001620|
|Added to NRHP||July 24, 1979|
|Designated NYCL||November 9, 1976|
The Queens County Farm Museum is located on 47 acres (190,000 m2) of the New York City neighborhoods of Floral Park and Glen Oaks in Queens. This historic farm occupies the city's largest remaining tract of undisturbed farmland (in operation since 1697), and is still a working farm today. The site features restored farm buildings from three different centuries, a greenhouse, planting fields, livestock, and various examples of vintage farm equipment. Queens Farm practices sustainable agriculture and has a four-season growing program.
The museum includes the Adriance Farmhouse which is a New York City Landmark and on the National Register of Historic Places. Free guided tours of the farmhouse are offered to the public Saturdays and Sundays year-round. Hayrides are offered on weekends (Saturday and Sunday) from April through October. An on-site seasonal farmstand featuring Queens Farm vegetables, herbs, and flowers takes place every Wednesday through Sunday (11am-3pm, Wed -Fri; 11am-5pm, Sat & Sun) from May through October.
The Cornell Farmhouse was built in 1750 with Dutch and English architectural features. The Farmhouse is also known as the Creedmoor Farmhouse Complex or the Adriance Farmhouse. It is part of the museum and is owned and operated by the New York City Department of Parks.
The farm was privately owned by a Dutch family, the Adriances, from 1697 to 1808. Their three-room farmhouse, built in 1772, has been restored and still stands. After 1808, a series of families owned the farm as it continued to evolve from a colonial homestead to a modern "truck farming" or market gardening business. Under its last private farmer, Daniel Stattel, it became, by 1900, "the second largest [farm] in size in Queens County and the highest in dollar value...assessed at 32,000 dollars." In 1926, the Stattels sold the farm to real estate investor Pauline Reisman, who, in turn, later that year sold it to Creedmoor State Hospital, which used it for occupational therapy, to stock its kitchen, and to grow ornamental plants for the rest of the hospital campus. In 1975, state legislation authored by Frank Padavan transferred ownership of the farm from the hospital to the New York City Department of Parks, for the purpose of starting a museum.
- List of museums and cultural institutions in New York City
- Open-air museum
- List of New York City Designated Landmarks in Queens
- National Register of Historic Places listings in Queens County, New York
- National Park Service (2009-03-13). "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service.
- Creedmoor (Cornell) Farmhouse (New York City Landmarks Preservation Commission; November 9, 1976)
- James A. Trent (June 1976). "National Register of Historic Places Registration: Cornell Farmhouse". New York State Office of Parks, Recreation and Historic Preservation. Retrieved July 18, 2009. See also: "Accompanying six photos".
- About the Farm: Series of Owners since 1697 (Queens County Farm Museum)
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Queens County Farm Museum.|