Craiglockhart railway station
Site of Craiglockhart Station (disused)
|Area||City of Edinburgh|
|Pre-grouping||North British Railway|
Scottish Region of British Railways
|1 December 1884||Opened|
|10 September 1962||Closed|
|Disused railway stations in the United Kingdom|
|Closed railway stations in Britain|
A B C D–F G H–J K–L M–O P–R S T–V W–Z
|UK Railways portal|
Craiglockhart Railway Station was a railway station in Scotland on the Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway (SSJR). It was opened on 1 December 1884. Located on Colinton Road next to the Myreside Aqueduct of the Union Canal, it served the Craiglockhart area of Edinburgh, in the south-west of the city.
Craiglockhart station closed in 1962, when passenger rail services were withdrawn from the Edinburgh Suburban line although the line itself was retained for rail freight use. The route continues to be used for freight services to this day, so freight trains avoid Edinburgh's main stations of Edinburgh Waverley and Haymarket, and occasionally diverted passenger trains also pass along this line.
A local campaigning group, the Capital Rail Action Group (CRAG), is running a campaign for the SSJR line to be re-opened to passenger services, and proposes that it should be operated either as a commuter rail service or as a light rail system to form an extension of the forthcoming Edinburgh Tram Network. Following a petition submitted to the Scottish Parliament in 2007, the proposal was rejected in 2009 by transport planners due to anticipated cost.
|Preceding station||Historical railways||Following station|
|Gorgie East||Edinburgh Suburban and
Southside Junction Railway
North British Railway
|Edinburgh Suburban and Southside Junction Railway|
|This Scotland railway station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|