Crash and Burn (Thomas Rhett song)
|"Crash and Burn"|
|Single by Thomas Rhett|
|from the album Tangled Up|
|Released||April 27, 2015|
|Thomas Rhett singles chronology|
"Crash and Burn" is a song recorded by American country music singer Thomas Rhett. It was released to digital retailers on April 7, 2015 via Valory Music Group as the lead single to Rhett's second studio album, Tangled Up, and was released to country radio on April 27, 2015. The song was written by Jesse Frasure and Chris Stapleton.
The first song by Rhett about heartache, "Crash and Burn" tells the story of the narrator whose relationship falls apart. Prior to the song's release, Rhett admitted that he was worried about the feedback from fans about the new single because of its pop- and R&B-influenced sound.
"Crash and Burn" debuted at number 38 on the Billboard Country Airplay chart for the week ending April 25, 2015. It sold 40,000 copies in the US in its debut week. The song peaked at No. 2 on the Hot Country Songs, and No. 36 on the Hot 100 for charts dated September 5, 2015. The song reached No. 1 on the Country Airplay three weeks later, his fourth number-one on this chart and the fastest to reach the top spot. The song was certified Platinum by the RIAA on September 23, 2015. As of January 2016, the song has sold 882,000 copies in the US.
Premiering in June 2015, the music video was directed by TK McKamy and features Rhett, who is dumped by a woman on a Nashville bridge. Throughout the video, he pursues her and attempts to win her back, which fails after she walks off and leaves him in the middle of the street. Rhett explained that the video was shot on his "old stomping grounds from college," which he considered cool.
Charts and certifications
- Hudak, Joseph (10 April 2015). "Thomas Rhett on funky new single "Crash and Burn"". Rolling Stone. Retrieved 12 April 2015.
- Vinson, Christina (April 8, 2015). "Thomas Rhett Releases Sophomore Album's Lead Single, 'Crash and Burn' [LISTEN]". The Boot. Retrieved April 16, 2015.
- "Crash and Burn - Single by Thomas Rhett". iTunes Store (US). Apple Inc. Retrieved 13 April 2015.
- "R&R :: Going For Adds :: Country" (Week Of: April 27, 2015). Radio & Records. Retrieved 13 April 2015.[permanent dead link]
- "Crash and Burn by Thomas Rhett". Songfacts, LLC. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- Trust, Gary (13 April 2015). "Chart Highlights: Wiz Khalifa Motors Onto Pop Songs With 'See You Again'". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- Matt Bjorke (April 15, 2015). "Country Music's Top 30 Digital Singles: Week of April 15, 2015". Roughstock.
- Jim Asker (September 15, 2015). "Chris Stapleton Travels Back Up the Charts; Thomas Rhett Scores Again at Country Radio". Billboard.
- "American certifications – Thomas Rhett – Crash and Burn". Recording Industry Association of America.
- Bjorke, Matt (January 18, 2016). "Top 30 Digital Country Singles Chart: January 19, 2016". Roughstock.
- "CMT : Videos : Thomas Rhett : Crash and Burn". Country Music Television. Retrieved June 6, 2015.
- Howell, Coti. "Thomas Rhett Gets Dumped, Chases The Girl in 'Crash and Burn' Video". Taste of Country. Retrieved April 29, 2018.
- "Thomas Rhett Chart History (Canadian Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Thomas Rhett Chart History (Canada Country)". Billboard.
- "Thomas Rhett Chart History (Hot 100)". Billboard.
- "Thomas Rhett Chart History (Country Airplay)". Billboard. Retrieved 14 April 2015.
- "Thomas Rhett Chart History (Hot Country Songs)". Billboard.
- "Best of 2015: Country Airplay". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2015. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- "Best of 2015: Hot Country Songs". Billboard. Prometheus Global Media. 2015. Retrieved December 9, 2015.
- "American single certifications – Thomas Rhett – Crash and Burn". Recording Industry Association of America. Retrieved September 24, 2019. If necessary, click Advanced, then click Format, then select Single, then click SEARCH.