Crime in Bangladesh
Crime in Bangladesh is present in various forms such as Drug Trafficking, Money Laundering, Extortion, Contract killing, Fraud, Human Trafficking, Robbery, Corruption, Black Marketeering, Political Violence, Terrorism and Abduction among others.
Bangladesh is used as a transit route for narcotics produced in neighboring countries. The Annual Report for 2007 from the International Narcotics Control Board (INCB), reports that Bangladesh is now the main transit point for the movement and trafficking of heroin from Southeast Asia into the European market . The report noted that the porous borders between Bangladesh and India contribute to the cross-border trafficking of narcotics.
It is estimated that 100,000 people are involved in narcotics trafficking in Bangladesh.
A total of 10,331 homicides were reported to Bangladesh authorities from 2001 to 2003, showing a significant increase in recent years.
For the Asia Pacific region, Bangladesh is ranked as one of the main countries for Software Piracy. It is estimated that the Software Industry loses nearly $102 million (USD) every year as a result.
- "CIA World Factbook - Bangladesh". CIA World Factbook.
- Bangladesh transit route for heroin trafficking Archived 2008-04-04 at the Wayback Machine
- Analysis of the world situation
- "100,000 people involved in drug trade in Bangladesh".
- Dilip K. Das, Michael Palmiotto (2006). World Police Encyclopedia. Taylor & Francis. p. 69. ISBN 0-415-94251-9.
- Bangladesh tops software piracy in Asia Pacific , Article by The Daily Star Published on 2009-05-15
- "2008 Software Piracy losses by Country".
|This crime-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This Bangladesh-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|