Crookston railway station
Crookston station in March 2009
|Managed by||Abellio ScotRail|
|Number of platforms||1|
|Live arrivals/departures, station information and onward connections|
from National Rail Enquiries
|Annual rail passenger usage*|
|Passenger Transport Executive|
|Original company||Glasgow and South Western Railway|
|Pre-grouping||Glasgow and South Western Railway|
|Post-grouping||London Midland and Scottish Railway|
|1 July 1885||Opened|
|1 January 1917||Closed|
|10 January 1983||Closed|
|28 July 1990||Reopened|
|National Rail – UK railway stations|
|* Annual estimated passenger usage based on sales of tickets in stated financial year(s) which end or originate at Crookston from Office of Rail and Road statistics. Methodology may vary year on year.|
|UK railways portal|
Crookston railway station is a railway station in Crookston, a district of Glasgow, Scotland. The station is managed by Abellio ScotRail and lies on the Paisley Canal Line which was reopened by British Rail, 4½ miles (7 km) west of Glasgow Central.
The station was opened by the Glasgow and South Western Railway on 1 July 1885. It was temporarily closed due to the First World War on 1 January 1917 reopening in 1919. Following review of the finances of operations of railway services operated by Strathclyde Passenger Transport Executive, funding for the line was withdrawn resulting in the closure of the station on 10 January 1983. The station reopened on 28 July 1990 at the same time as the Paisley Canal Line reopened by British Rail. The station buildings are now protected as a category B listed building.
Monday to Saturdays there is a half-hourly service eastbound to Glasgow Central and westbound to Paisley Canal.
On Sundays, an hourly service operates in each direction.
|Preceding station||National Rail||Following station|
Paisley Canal Line
|Hawkhead||Glasgow and South Western Railway
Paisley Canal Line
- Butt (1995), page 72
- Historic Environment Scotland & LB33600
- Butt, R. V. J. (1995). The Directory of Railway Stations: details every public and private passenger station, halt, platform and stopping place, past and present (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-508-7. OCLC 60251199.
- Historic Environment Scotland. "21 Lochmaben Road, former Crookston Station and Stationmaster's Cottage (Category B) (LB33600)". Retrieved 20 March 2019.
- Jowett, Alan (March 1989). Jowett's Railway Atlas of Great Britain and Ireland: From Pre-Grouping to the Present Day (1st ed.). Sparkford: Patrick Stephens Ltd. ISBN 978-1-85260-086-0. OCLC 22311137.
- Jowett, Alan (2000). Jowett's Nationalised Railway Atlas (1st ed.). Penryn, Cornwall: Atlantic Transport Publishers. ISBN 978-0-906899-99-1. OCLC 228266687.