|Population||992 (2011 census)|
|OS grid reference|
|• London||68 miles (109 km) SE|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Croughton is a small village in the South Northamptonshire district of Northamptonshire, England. The population of the civil parish was 992 at the 2011 census. It is close to the border with Oxfordshire and Buckinghamshire and is six kilometres southwest of the town of Brackley. Along with Aynho it is one of the county's two southernmost villages.
Croughton All Saints Primary School is based on the High Street in the Village.
There is no one predominant pronunciation of the village's name; residents pronounce its first syllable to rhyme either with "thou" or with "crow". The "thou" pronunciation was adopted by the Americans nearby at RAF Croughton when the airbase was in use by the USAF.[dubious ] In early records the name has spellings such as Crewelton, and is thought to mean "town in the fork of a river".
This section needs additional citations for verification. (March 2018) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
The village is best known for its Parish Church dedicated to All Saints, which is of historical significance for its murals. An historic elm reputedly stood in the church grounds for 800 years, and although it is believed to have died of Dutch elm disease in the 1970s, its demise dates back to the early 1900s. The remains of an Iron Age fort, Rainsborough Camp, lie to the north-west of the village, and the site of the long-abandoned mediaeval village of Astwick lies to the north-east.
References and notes
- "Civil Parish population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 1 July 2016.
- Eilert Ekwall, The Concise Oxford Dictionary of English Place-Names, 1960, page 133
- Whellan, Francis (1874). History, Topography, and Directory of Northamptonshire. Whittaker. p. 476.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Croughton, Northamptonshire.|