Cupey, San Juan, Puerto Rico
This article needs additional citations for verification. (July 2010) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
Barrio of Cupey
Location of Cupey shown in yellow.
|• Total||7.55 sq mi (19.55 km2)|
|• Land||7.49 sq mi (19.40 km2)|
|• Water||0.06 sq mi (0.16 km2)|
|• Density||4,897.6/sq mi (1,890.97/km2)|
Cupey is one of the 18 barrios of the municipality of San Juan, Puerto Rico. It is the largest barrio in the municipality and the third most populous with 36,659 inhabitants according to Census 2000. The territorial land area of Cupey is 7.49 square miles (19.40 km²). It is bound by the municipality of Caguas to the South, by the municipality of Trujillo Alto to the East, by the barrios of Caimito and Monacillo to the West, and by the barrios of El Cinco and Sabana Llana Sur to the North. Between 1990 and 2000 Cupey had a 17.98% increase in population, more than any other barrio in San Juan.
Two of Puerto Rico's largest universities, Interamerican University of Puerto Rico's Metropolitan Campus, and Metropolitan University, a unit of the Ana G. Méndez University System, are located in Cupey.
This ward was a former ward of the defunct town of Rio Piedras. It was divided into the wards of Cupey Alto (Upper Cupey) and Cupey Bajo (Lower Cupey). It is named for the Cupey tree, which is indigenous to the Caribbean. It is sometimes spelled Copey, and the scientific name is Clusia rosea. It belongs to the Clusiaceae family.
In 1956, the Puerto Rico Legislature integrated the town of Rio Piedras and the town of San Juan. Today, Cupey is the biggest ward in San Juan in territorial terms.
The Cupey ward is 7.49 square miles (19.40 km²). It is bound to the north by the San Juan wards of El Cinco along State Road PR-176, and by Sabana Llana Sur in the Venus Gardens neighborhood. From the south it is bound by the town of Caguas, starting at the intersection of state roads PR-176 and PR-175. From the east it is bound by the town of Trujillo Alto along state road PR-199. From the west it is bordered by the San Juan wards of Caimito, starting at the intersection of state road PR-199 and state highway PR-52, and by Monacillo, starting at the intersection of state
San Juan's only lake, Lago Las Curías, is located in Cupey. It was originally dammed in 1946 by the Municipal Government of San Juan to provide potable water to the cities of Río Piedras and San Juan, and was later transferred to the Puerto Rico Electric Power Authority (PREPA). it is currently owned by the Puerto Rico Aqueducts and Sewer Authority (PRASA). The earthen dam is approximately 75 feet high and 800 feet long and its design capacity is 1,120 acres-feet.
- Cheo Feliciano, salsa legend
- Rafael Hernández, composer and musician
- Lolita Lebrón, Puerto Rico Nationalist leader
- Kenneth McClintock, Secretary of State and Senate President
- Thomas Rivera Schatz, Senate President
- Jorge Santini, Mayor of San Juan
- Felix Trinidad, world champion boxer, member of the International Boxing Hall of Fame
- Felix Trinidad Sr., Puerto Rico national Featherweight boxing champion
- Puerto Rico:2010:population and housing unit counts.pdf (PDF). U.S. Dept. of Commerce, Economics and Statistics Administration, U.S. Census Bureau. 2010. p. 32.
- "REPRESA LAS CURÍAS - Wikimapia". Wikimapia.org. Retrieved 16 August 2016.