Type of site
|Video on demand|
|Founded||March 18, 2015|
|Headquarters||Silver Spring, Maryland,|
|Founder(s)||John S. Hendricks, Founder of the Discovery Channel|
|Registration||Limited free titles available to watch with no registration. Subscription to CuriosityStream.com required to access entire library.|
|Launched||March 18, 2015|
CuriosityStream is a global nonfiction subscription video-on-demand streaming service. It exclusively delivers nonfiction documentaries and series about science, technology, history and nature. Launched on March 18, 2015, CuriosityStream is headquartered in Silver Spring, Maryland. CuriosityStream offers its users over 1,800 original and licensed titles and about 600 hours of nonfiction media worldwide.
On December 8, 2015, Amazon Prime began offering CuriosityStream as part of its add-on subscription service. Amazon-CuriosityStream is a separate subscription from CuriosityStream's main SVOD plan in that it will only permit access via Amazon Prime's platforms and is only available to Amazon Prime members. On November 1, 2017, it was announced that CuriosityStream would partner with VRV, an aggregate provider of streaming content, to allow access to CuriosityStream's content through their service. On November 8, 2017, Comcast began offering the service, in CuriosityStream's first MVPD distribution deal. On December 7, 2017, Sling TV began offering the service as an add-on option to their customers. On June 26, 2018, CuriosityStream formalized its first international distribution deal with Starhub, expanding its reach dramatically. On July 11, 2018, CuriosityStream began being offered as an add-on channel on YouTube TV.
The founder of the Discovery Channel, John S. Hendricks, launched CuriosityStream on March 18, 2015 as a subscription video on demand service exclusively delivering nonfiction documentaries. The company launched its services internationally on September 29, 2015.
- Science: Biology, Earth, Genetics, Medicine, Mind, Nature, Physics, Space
- Technology: Artificial Intelligence, Communications, Energy, Engineering, Nanotechnology, Privacy & Security, Social Web, Transportation
- Civilization: Business, Conflict, Democracy, Economics, Entrepreneurship, History, Politics, Society
- Human spirit: Art, Character & Values, Creativity, Dramatic & Performing Arts, Health & Wellness, Literature, Music, Philosophy
CuriosityStream has produced a number of original documentaries and series, such as:
- Miniverse, featuring Chris Hadfield, Michio Kaku, Derrick Pitts, Laura Danly
- Stephen Hawking's Favorite Places (2017 Emmy Award Winner), featuring Stephen Hawking
- David Attenborough's Light On Earth, featuring David Attenborough
- Deep Time History, featuring Jonathan Markley
- Prescription: Nutrition, featuring Michael Greger
- Destination: Pluto, featuring Alan Stern
- Destination Mars, featuring Peter Diamandis
- The Road To The Singularity, featuring Jason Silva
- Transhumanism, featuring Jason Silva
- Digits, featuring Derek Muller, Edward Snowden, Vint Cerf
- Genius by Stephen Hawking with Stephen Hawking
- Next World with Michio Kaku
- The Secrets of Quantum Physics with Jim Al-Khalili
- Wild Weather with Richard Hammond
- The Nano Revolution
- Destination Mars featuring Peter Diamandis
- Cosmic Front
- The Human Face Of Big Data
U.S. subscribers have access to BBC productions available such as:
- The Secret Life of Dogs
- Ancient Worlds Richard Miles, Simon Russell Beale, Julie Berry & Cécile Michel
- Greek Myths: True Stories Robin Lane Fox
- Ancient Rome: The Rise and Fall of an Empire (a 6-part docudrama miniseries starring Michael Sheen)
- Sex, Death and the Meaning of Life with Richard Dawkins
- When Björk Met Attenborough with David Attenborough
- Crusades as well as Vikings and World of Stonehenge, both hosted by Neil Oliver.
- The Hawking Paradox with Stephen Hawking
Devices and access
How to watch
CuriosityStream is accessible through multiple platforms:
- Any computer via a modern web browser
- Any Android device running Android version 4.0.3 or higher
- Apple TV via AirPlay for older generations or native app for 4th generation
- Chromecast via either the Google Chrome browser or any Android smartphone or tablet with Android 4.0.3 or higher
- iPhone, iPod, and iPad with iOS 7 or higher installed
- Amazon Fire TV
- Amazon Kindle Fire
- Xbox One
- Native smart TV applications (Apple Inc., Sony, Samsung, Vizio, LG, etc.)
- Xfinity by Comcast
- Sling TV
- Layer3 TV
- YouTube TV
The streaming service costs $2.99 per month for high- definition, and $9.99 per month for ultra high definition 4K. There are discounts for paying annually.
CuriosityStream is advised by a number of individuals with backgrounds in science, education and the arts. CuriosityStream Advisory Board members include:
CuriosityStream Advisory Board members have offered supportive statements toward the overall initiative.
Awards and nominations
- Stephen Hawking's Favorite Places - Outstanding Graphic Design & Art Direction (Winner, 2017)
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Outstanding Nature Documentary (Nominee, 2017)
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Outstanding Cinematography: Documentary (Nominee, 2017)
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Best Host/Presenter-Led Film (Winner, 2017)
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Best Science in Nature Film (Nominee, 2017)
- Big World in a Small Garden - Best Short Film (Nominee, 2017)
- CuriosityStream - Best Science & Education Channel (Honoree, 2017)
- Deep Time History - Best Documentary Series (Honoree, 2017)
- Science Breakthroughs: Gravitational Waves - Science & Education for Film & Video (Nominee, 2017)
- CuriosityStream - Best Science & Education Channel (Honoree, 2016)
British Academy Film Awards (BAFTA)
- David Attenboroughs Light on Earth - Specialist Factual (Nominee, 2017)
Wildscreen Film Festival
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Science Award (Winner, 2016)
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Technical Innovation Award (Winner, 2016)
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Presenter Award (nominee, 2016)
Science Media Awards
- David Attenborough's Light on Earth - Grand Helix Award Winner, 2016 (BEST IN SHOW)
- Jason Silva: Transhumanism - Best Short Form Documentary (Nominee, 2016)
CuriosityStream has been featured in coverage of the digital streaming revolution by Time Magazine, Wall Street Journal, New York Times, Los Angeles Times,Variety ("The New OTT View-niverse"), StreamDaily, Inverse ("CuriosityStream, the Netflix for Documentaries, Bets on the Fact"), Mashable ("CuriosityStream: the new 'Netflix' for non-fiction") Science News, and MultiChannel News.
- Friedman, Wayne. "Discovery Channel Founder To Launch Ad-Free SVOD Service". Media Post. Media Daily News. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Baumgartner, Jeff. "Amazon Sells Showtime, Starz Add-On Subscriptions". MultiChannel News. New Bay Media. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "CuriosityStream Now Available On New Amazon Video Add-on Subscription Service". Digital Journal. Digital Journal. Retrieved 8 December 2015.
- "VRV to Add CuriosityStream to SVOD Mix, Launch Offline Viewing | Broadcasting & Cable". www.broadcastingcable.com. Retrieved 2017-11-06.
- "Comcast Adds CuriosityStream to SVOD Lineup". Multichannel.
- Bourna, Luke. "Sling TV Launches Standalone Premium On-Demand Channels". Cord Cutters News. Retrieved 10 December 2017.
- "CuriosityStream Strikes First Deal with International Distributor". Cablefax. 26 June 2018.
- "CuriosityStream Joins YouTube TV's Lineup". Cablefax. 11 July 2018.
- "Discovery Channel founder launches video streaming service". Tech 2. Retrieved 14 October 2015.
- "What are the benefits of a CuriosityStrean annual plan?".
- "Meet Our Advisory Board" (PDF). CuriosityStream. CuriosityStream, LLC. Retrieved 1 September 2015.
- Iyengar, Rishi. "Now There's a Netflix for Science Fans".
- Hagey, Keach. "Discovery Channel Founder Jumps Into Streaming". Wall Street Journal. Wall Street Journal.
- Steel, Emily. "Sony's PlayStation Vue Is Introduced in 3 Cities". New York Times. New York Times. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Dave, Paresh. "With CuriosityStream, Discovery Channel founder seeks online success". Los Angeles Times. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Wallenstein, Andrew. "The OTT View-niverse: A Map of the New Video Ecosystem". Variety. Variety. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Spangler, Todd. "John Hendricks, Founder of Discovery Channel, Launches Internet Subscription VOD Service". Variety. Variety. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Longwell, Todd. "CuriosityStream Tweaks Pricing Plan For Launch". StreamDaily. StreamDaily. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Kelly, Bryan. "CuriosityStream, the Netflix for Documentaries, Bets on the Fact". www.Inverse.com. Inverse Magazine. Retrieved 3 September 2015.
- Abruzzese, Jason. "CuriosityStream: the new 'Netflix' for non-fiction". Mashable. Mashable. Retrieved 17 June 2015.
- Conover, Emily. "CuriosityStream Satisfies A Science-Hungry Audience".
- Baumgartner, Jeff. "CuriosityStream Goes Online". MultiChannel News. MultiChannel News. Retrieved 17 June 2015.