D'Hanis is located at the intersections of U.S. Route 90, Farm to Market Road 1796 and Farm to Market Road 2200 on Seco Creek. The community is sometimes called New D'Hanis to distinguish it from the site of old D'Hanis one mile to the east.
D'Hanis is named for Count von D'Hanis, who founded the town about 1845.
The D'Hanis Independent School District maintains a K-12 school located near Highway 90. The current school has been renovated and expanded many times; the most recent additions were completed in the fall of 2009. The current secondary school principal is Kurt Shoemaker and the district superintendent is Scott Higgins. Its mascots are (middle school) Colts and (high school) Cowboys and Cowgirls. Basketball, football, baseball, golf, track and tennis are varsity sports there.
The few remaining walls of St. Dominic's Church and Cemetery, now part of the ghost town of Old D'Hanis, are situated south of Highway 90. The ruins of Fort Lincoln, another historical attraction, can be found north of town along FM 1796.
- Texas Almanac, 1956-1957
- GNIS Detail - D'Hanis Retrieved 8 August 2013
- D'Hanis, Texas and Old D'Hanis Texas Texas Escapes Online Magazine. Retrieved 8 August 2013.
- Gannett, Henry (1905). The Origin of Certain Place Names in the United States. Govt. Print. Off. p. 106.
- D'Hanis ISD - Secondary Main Retrieved 8 August 2013 Archived July 2, 2013, at the Wayback Machine
- Superintendent - Superintendent Retrieved 8 August 2013
- D'Hanis ISD - Home
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to D'Hanis, Texas.|