This article needs additional citations for verification. (February 2014) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|Headquarters||Ferndale, Randburg, South Africa|
|Sub-Saharan Africa (Africa excluding North Africa & Somalia)|
DStv (Digital Satellite Television) is a Sub-Saharan African direct broadcast satellite service owned by MultiChoice. The service launched in 1995 and provides multiple channels and services to their subscribers, which currently number around 11.9 million. The majority of subscribers are in South Africa and Nigeria, with Kenya, Ghana, Angola, Zimbabwe, Zambia, Uganda, Mauritius, Mozambique, Tanzania, Lesotho, Ethiopia, the Republic of the Congo, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Gabon, Swaziland and Botswana additionally served by the company.
- 1986 – Pay-television came to South Africa when an analogue, single-channel service, M-Net, was launched by Naspers. For almost seven years, all M-Net's operations were handled by a single company.
- 1993 – Naspers created a subsidiary company, Multichoice, which was to handle the business arm of M-Net, such as decoder sales, subscriber services and account management.
- 1995 – Multichoice announced that it was launching a new digital, satellite service in South Africa and, on 6 October 1995, DStv was officially activated to subscribers. The original selection of channels besides M-Net and SABC included MGM, Turner Classic Movies, TNT, Sci-Fi Universal, SuperSport, ESPN, SelecTV, Travel Channel, KTV, Cartoon Network, BBC World News, CNN International, Sky News, Rhema Network, MTV, VH1 and TV5Monde.
- 2000 – Launch of W4 Eutelsat satellite with Ku-band services to sub-Saharan Africa and the Indian Ocean Islands.
- 2002 – Launch of Interactive Television.
- 2003 – Dual View decoder launched.
- 2005 – The DStv PVR decoder and DStv Compact is launched. DStv Premium subscribers in South Africa cross the 1 million mark.
- 2008 – Launch of DStv's first High Definition decoder the HD PVR, XtraView and the first HD channel, M-Net HD.
- 2010 – DVB over IP (Digital Video Broadcast over Internet Protocol) and DStv on Demand service launched, as well as the HD PVR 2P and M-Net Movies 1 HD.
- 2011 – DStv BoxOffice & DStv Mobile launched.
- 2013 – DStv subscribers across Africa reach 6.7 million, with 4.5 million within South Africa. Explora PVR launched.
- 2015 - Dstv launches two Indian channels Zee World and Glow that have Indian shows dubbed in English.
- 2017 – DStv subscribers reach 11.9 million, while average revenue per user for personal video recorder (PVR) decoders decline slightly.
- 2018 - Dstv launches English Indian channel Star Life
- 2018 - DStv reaches 13.5 million customers across Sub-Saharan Africa, with 7 million subscribers alone in South Africa.
- 2018 - DStv PVR decoders reach 1.4 million.
DStv has their set-top boxes manufactured by domestic company Altech UEC, along with Arris International. The choice of boxes include a standard box with "XtraView" capabilities, an older personal video recorder, and the newest PVR box known as the Explora. An additional decoder known as the Drifta allows the conversion of a DStv DVB-H signal to another digital device such as a laptop, tablet or smartphone for portable in-home viewing.
DStv also offers the mobile app "DStvNow", which allows access to live television, video on demand, set-top box control and PVR scheduling.
List of DStv channels
List of DStv channels on 24 June 2018.
|101 M-Net||102 M-Net Edge||103 M-Net Movies Premiere||104 M-Net Movies Comedy|
|105 M-Net Movies Family||106 M-Net Movies Action+||107 M-Net Movies Romance||108 M-Net Movies Showcase|
|110 M-Net Movies Action||111 M-Net Movies Stars||112 Studio Universal||114 Vuzu Amp|
|115 M-Net City||116 Vuzu||117 Universal Channel||118 Telemundo|
|119 BBC First||120 BBC Brit||121 Discovery Channel||122 Comedy Central|
|123 ITV Choice||124 E!||125 Fox||126 Fox Crime|
|127 Sony Channel||128 Sony Max||129 BET International||130 MTV|
|131 Lifetime||132 CBS Reality||133 CBS Action||134 CBS Drama|
|137 Turner Classic Movies||138 True Movies 1||139 M-Net Movies Zone||140 AMC|
|141 Eva English||143 TBC 1||144 kykNET||145 kykNET & Kie|
|146 kykNET nou!||150 AfricaMagic Showcase||152 AfricaMagic Epic||153 AfricaMagic Urban|
|154 AfricaMagic Family||155 AfricaMagic World||156 SABC Encore||161 Mzansi Magic|
|162 M-Net Family||163 Mzansi Wethu||164 Mzansi Bioskop||165 Ebony Life TV|
|166 Zee World||167 Glow||170 Crime & Investigation||171 ID Xtra|
|172 TLC||174 BBC Lifestyle||175 Food Network||176 The Home Channel|
|178 Fashion TV||179 Travel Channel||181 National Geographic Channel||182 Nat Geo Wild|
|183 Animal Planet||184 BBC Earth||186 History||187 Discovery World|
|188 Trace Sport Stars||189 Ignition||190 Channel Ed||191 SABC 1|
|192 SABC 2||193 SABC 3||194 e.tv||199 Flieknet|
|200 SuperSport Blitz||201 SuperSport 1||202 SuperSport 2||203 SuperSport 3|
|204 SuperSport 4||205 SuperSport 5||206 SuperSport 6||207 SuperSport 7|
|208 SuperSport 8||209 SuperSport 9||210 SuperSport Select||221 SuperSport 1 Maximo|
|225 SuperSport 5 Africa||239 TellyTrack||250 e.tv Africa||272 KTN|
|275 ZNBC TV1||276 ZNBC TV2||280 ZBC Television||282 Lesotho Television|
|283 NBC 1||284 One Africa Television||286 Swazi TV||289 Botswana Television|
|295 MBC Television||301 Cartoon Network||302 Boomerang||303 Disney Channel|
|304 Disney XD||305 Nickelodeon||306 CBeebies||307 Nick Jr.|
|308 Nicktoons||309 Disney Junior||310 JimJam||319 Mindset Learn|
|320 Channel O||321 Mzansi Magic Music||322 MTV Base||323 VH1 Classic|
|325 Trace Urban||326 Trace Africa||331 1 Gospel||340 Dumisa|
|341 Faith||342 TBN Africa||347 ITV Networks||390 Emmanuel TV|
|400 BBC World News||401 CNN International||402 SKY News||403 eNCA|
|404 SABC News||405 ANN 7||406 Al-Jazeera English||407 RT|
|408 Parliamentary Channel||409 CGTN||410 CNBC Africa||411 Bloomberg TV|
|412 Business Day TV||413 NDTV 24X7|
- "How much money MultiChoice makes per DStv subscriber". 23 June 2017. Retrieved 17 February 2018.
- "our-history". naspers.com. Retrieved 25 January 2016.
- "DStv – more subscribers, more money". mybroadband.co.za. 25 June 2013.
- "DStv Explora to Revolutionise TV in SA - detail". Multichoice. Archived from the original on 2 December 2013. Retrieved 2014-02-22.
- Drifta - decoders
- "List of Channels on DStv". TV Channel Lists. 24 June 2018. Retrieved 15 April 2019.