David Brewer (broker)
Sir David William Brewer, KG, CMG, CVO, JP (born 28 May 1940) is an English marine insurance broker who served as Lord Mayor of London (2005–06) and Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London to Elizabeth II (2008–15).
Brewer began his 50-year career with marine insurance company Sedgwick Collins in 1959. In 1976 he went to Tokyo to open the Sedgwick Group's Japan office and lived there for 3 years. He set up its group office in China in 1981, obtaining the first broker's authorisation for in 1993. He also opened the company's representative office in Bombay in 1986 travelled extensively throughout Pacific Asia. He was Non-Executive Vice-Chairman of Marsh Ltd., the company which bought Sedgwick, from 2007-09. In addition, he has been a Director or Consultant for a number of insurance companies around the world. He was Chairman of the China-Britain Business Council until 2013 and holds Non-Executive Directorships of LIFFE Administration and Management (2009–present), Tullett Prebon SITICO (China) (2006–present) and the National Bank of Kuwait (International) (2007–present).
Brewer has been a Justice of the Peace since 1979. Prior to serving as Alderman of the Ward of Bassishaw 1996-2010, he was a Common Councilman in the City of London; and was Aldermanic Sheriff of the City in 2002/3. His term of office as Lord Mayor of London was 2005-06, and from 2008 to 2015 was HM's representative in Greater London as Lord Lieutenant.
Brewer is a Past Master of the Worshipful Company of Merchant Taylors as well as of the Blacksmiths' Company, and a Liveryman of the Worshipful Company of Insurers; he has been President of the London Cornish Association since 2005. Sir David has been since 2017 the Chairman of the Central Council of the Royal Over-Seas League.
Brewer married in 1985 Tessa Jordá, daughter of Enrique Jordá and President of the Chartered Institute of Linguists. They have two daughters (Olivia and Gabriella). Lady Brewer was awarded as OBE in the Queen's Birthday Honours List for her work as Chairwoman of the City of London Festival.
He lists his recreations as music, golf and chocolate. Another more obscure activity he claims to enjoy is paronomasia or "the use of words that sound similar to other words, but have different meanings – or to be more blunt – puns or punning."! He is also a member of Marylebone Cricket Club. Sir David and Lady Brewer have a home at Hellandbridge, near Bodmin, in Cornwall.
Appointed a Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO) in the 2015 New Year Honours List for his "services as Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London", Sir David was advanced as Knight Companion of the Order of the Garter (KG) on 23 April 2016.
- David Brewer (1940–1979)
- David Brewer JP (1979–1999)
- David Brewer CMG JP (1999–2007)
- The Right Hon Lord Mayor of London (2005–2006)
- Sir David Brewer CMG JP (2007–2015)
- Sir David Brewer CMG CVO JP (2015–2016)
- Sir David Brewer KG CMG CVO JP (2016–present)
|Knight of the Order of the Garter (KG)||2016|
|Companion of the Order of St Michael and St George (CMG)||1999|
|Commander of the Royal Victorian Order (CVO)||2015|
|Knight of the Order of St John (KStJ)||2005|
|Gold Rays with Neck Ribbon of the Order of the Rising Sun||(Japan) 2007|
- 2008 – Honorary degree, City University London
- 2008 – Honorary degree of Doctor of Science (Economics), SOAS.
- 2008 – Honorary degree, University of Exeter.
- "Birthday's today". The Telegraph. 28 May 2013. Retrieved 24 May 2014.
Sir David Brewer, Lord–Lieutenant for Greater London, 73
- London Lieutenancy: Sir David Brewer profile
- "London Gazette, Issue 58715 (2 June 2008), p. 1".
- SOAS: Presentation speech on conferring honorary degree (2008)
- "China-Britain Business Council: Board Members List" (PDF).
- "Sir David Brewer". Retrieved 23 June 2011.
- User, Super. "Royal Overseas League of Australia - Annual Report". www.rosl.org.au.
- "Lord mayor's Show" (PDF). The Worshipful Company of Blacksmiths. 12 November 2005. p. 5. Retrieved 10 February 2011.
- "Queen's Birthday Honours List 2015". Guardian.
- Seib, Christine. "Business big shot: Sir David Brewer," The Times (London). 3 February 2007.
- "No. 61092". The London Gazette (Supplement). 31 December 2014. p. N4.
- Benet.Coulber (18 May 2016). "Appointments of Knights Companion of the Most Noble Order of the Garter".
- "London Gazette, Issue 58424 (17 August 2007), p. 1".
- Japanese Ministry of Foreign Affairs (MOFA): 2007 Autumn Conferment of Decorations on Foreign Nationals, p. 3
- "University of Exeter Honorary Graduands, 10 July 2008".
- Seib, Christine. "Business big shot: Sir David Brewer" The Times (London). 3 February 2007.
Sir Michael Savory
Lord Mayor of London
Sir John Stuttard
The Lord Imbert
Lord-Lieutenant of Greater London