Davidson High School (Mobile, Alabama)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (December 2013) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
|W. P. Davidson High School|
William Pickett Davidson Senior High School
3900 Pleasant Valley Road
|Motto||Learners today Leaders tomorrow|
|School district||Mobile County Public Schools (MCPSS)|
|Campus||36 acres in west Mobile|
|Nickname||WP or DHS|
|Accreditation||National Blue Ribbon School 1990-1991 and in 1994-1996|
There are roughly 1,700 students and 110-125 staff members at the school.[when?]
The birth of W.P. Davidson High School was in 1960 when a tenth-grade class was contained in the building of the Azalea Road Junior High School.Each year an additional grade was included, until the 1962-1963 school year when Davidson graduated its first class.That same year the modern building, which previously had been only a dream to Davidson students, became a reality.The much envied seniors were given the esteemed privilege of attending classes in the new structure during the last two weeks of school. The dedication of W.P. Davidson was during September. The first full year was the 1963-1964 session, in which case four grades, Freshman - Seniors, were taught.
W.P. Davidson High School is a four-year secondary education institution in the Mobile County Public School System. Davidson offers one of the most comprehensive programs available to Mobile students. Davidson was selected as a National Blue Ribbon School in the National Committee on Excellence in Education Secondary School Recognition Program in 1990-1991 and in 1994-1996. In 1992 W.P. Davidson High School was the recipient of Redbook magazine's Best Schools Program National Academic Achievement Winner. Davidson boasts a long tradition of academic excellence and extracurricular activities. Davidson serves an average population of 1400 students, with 85 teachers, counselors, librarians, and administrators. Davidson is accredited by the Southeastern Association of Colleges and Schools and the state of Alabama. Davidson's air-conditioned school plant is located on a 36-acre campus in west Mobile.
The warrior is the school's mascot.
Engineering Pathways Integrated Curriculum (EPIC)
Davidson's EPIC program attracts students from throughout Mobile County and offers courses in mechanical, electrical and chemical engineering. Students can also take engineering-focused math, science and drafting courses. The program requires its major students to complete five math or science courses in addition to the four math and four science courses required by the State of Alabama. Senior majors are required to complete Advance Placement Physics and Advance Placement Calculus AB. EPIC minors pursue a less rigorous course load in preparation for jobs in industry and technology.
International Baccalaureate (IB)
In November 2007, Davidson High School became an IB World School. It has offered the IB Diploma Programme for all students who are accepted under IB coordinator, Lydia Edmonds. The school is one of two state funded, International Baccalaureate high schools in the Mobile County Public School System. Davidson High School is a founding member of IBSA (IB Schools of Alabama). Freshmen and sophomores at Davidson take preparatory classes and begin the IB program as juniors.
Davidson also participates in accordance with the Bryant Career Technical Center in Irvington,Alabama to help prepare students to prepare for future career paths such as Heath related professions, and HVAC Technicians.
Davidson High School has a mandatory school uniform policy. White button down oxford shirt, khaki pants, black belt and black shoes. Black sweatshirts must be from a Davidson club or an all black sweatshirt.
The following middle schools feed into Davidson High School:
Portions of the attendance zone:
- Denton Middle School, formally Azalea Road Middle School
- Pillans Middle School
- Washington Middle School
- Burns Middle School (as of 2007)
- Calloway-Smith Middle School (before the 2012-2013 School Year)
- Jason Caffey, former NBA player
- Cooper Huckabee Class of 1969, Hollywood actor
- J.J. Johnson, Miami Dolphins
- Brandon Maye, American football linebacker
- Gregory Slay, Former drummer for Remy Zero
- Jaquiski Tartt, defensive back of the San Francisco 49ers
- Richard Todd, former quarterback of the New York Jets
- Richard Tyson, Hollywood actor
- Jimmie Ward, defensive back of the San Francisco 49ers
- Dana Williams, Former MLB player (Boston Red Sox)
- "WP Davidson High School". National Center for Education Statistics. Retrieved February 8, 2019.
- "Davidson." Mobile County Public School System. Retrieved on November 28, 2018.
- "2010 CENSUS - CENSUS BLOCK MAP (INDEX): Tillmans Corner CDP, AL." U.S. Census Bureau. Retrieved on November 28, 2018. Pages: 1, 2, 3. - Previously it was larger: 2000 Census Map (see index) has it on pages 37 and 42, and the 1990 census map (index) has it on pages 37 and 42
- "Offering students an EPIC high school experience in math and science". davidsonepic.org. Archived from the original on May 15, 2009.
- "W. P. Davidson High School". International Baccalaureate.
- "DAVIDSON IB PROGRAM". Davidson High School. September 1, 2008. Archived from the original on October 15, 2011.
- "Nāga and Bladerunner 2014". RobotEx. Retrieved 9 May 2018.
- [dead link]
- "MOBILE COUNTY PUBLIC SCHOOLS" (PDF). pcmac.org. Archived from the original (PDF) on March 3, 2016.