Population of Denmark as of 1 January 2012 by ancestry.
Since 1980, the number of Danes has remained constant at around 5 million in Denmark and nearly all the population growth from 5.1 up to the 2018 total of 5.8 million was due to immigration.
According to 2017 figures from Statistics Denmark, 86.9% of Denmark’s population of over 5,760,694 was of Danish descent, defined as having at least one parent who was born in Denmark and has Danish citizenship. The remaining 13.1% were of a foreign background, defined as immigrants or descendants of recent immigrants. With the same definition, the most common countries of origin were Poland, Turkey, Germany, Iraq, Romania, Syria, Somalia, Iran, Afghanistan, and Yugoslavia and its successor states.
More than 752 618 individuals (13.1%) are migrants and their descendants (146 798 second generation migrants born in Denmark).
Of these 752 618 immigrants and their descendants:
The Church of Denmark (Den danske folkekirke) is state-supported and, according to statistics from January 2019, accounts for about 74.7% of Denmark's religious affiliation. Denmark has had religious freedom guaranteed since 1849 by the Constitution, and numerous other religions are officially recognised, including several Christian denominations, Muslim, Jewish, Buddhist, Hindu and other congregations as well as Forn Siðr, a revival of Scandinavian pagan tradition. The Department of Ecclesiastical Affairs recognises roughly a hundred religious congregations for tax and legal purposes such as conducting wedding ceremonies.
Islam is the second largest religion in Denmark.
For historical reasons, there is a formal distinction between 'approved' (godkendte) and 'recognised' (anerkendte) congregations of faith. The latter include 11 traditional denominations, such as Roman Catholics, the Reformed Church, the Mosaic Congregation, Methodists and Baptists, some of whose privileges in the country date hundreds of years back. These have the additional rights of having priests appointed by royal resolution and to christen/name children with legal effect.
Foreign population in Denmark, 2003, by source country
Trend of population in Denmark, divided by gender (blue for male, red for female) and ethnicity (dark for Danish ethnicity, bright for other ethnicity). Note that abscissa crosses ordinate at population=2,225,000.
65 years and over: 19.42% (male 518,200 /female 609,737) (2018 est.)
total: 41.9 years. Country comparison to the world: 35th
male: 40.8 years
female: 42.9 years (2018 est.)
Birth and death rates of Denmark, 1950-2008
10.9 births/1,000 population (2018 est.) Country comparison to the world: 178th
9.3 deaths/1,000 population (2018 est.) Country comparison to the world: 55th
Total fertility rate
1.78 children born/woman (2018 est.) Country comparison to the world: 152nd
Mother's mean age at first birth
29.1 years (2015 est.)
Population growth rate
0.59% (2018 est.) Country comparison to the world: 148th
Net migration rate
2.1 migrant(s)/1,000 population (2017 est.) Country comparison to the world: 46th
Life expectancy at birth
total population: 81 years (2018 est.) Country comparison to the world: 34th
male: 79.1 years (2018 est.)
female: 83.1 years (2018 est.)
Danish (includes Greenlandic (who are predominantly Inuit) and Faroese) 86.3%, Turkish 1.1%, other 12.6% (largest groups are Polish, Syrian, German, Iraqi, and Romanian) (2018 est.)
note: data represent population by ancestry
Evangelical Lutheran (official) 74.8%, Muslim 5.3%, other (denominations of less than 1% each, include Roman Catholic, Jehovah's Witness, Serbian Orthodox Christian, Jewish, Baptist, and Buddhist) 19.9% (2017 est.)
total dependency ratio: 56 (2015 est.)
youth dependency ratio: 26.3 (2015 est.)
elderly dependency ratio: 29.7 (2015 est.)
potential support ratio: 3.4 (2015 est.)
urban population: 87.9% of total population (2018)
rate of urbanization: 0.51% annual rate of change (2015-20 est.)
Major urban areas - population
1.321 million COPENHAGEN (capital) (2018)
at birth: 1.05 male(s)/female (2017 est.)
0-14 years: 1.05 male(s)/female (2017 est.)
15-24 years: 1.04 male(s)/female (2017 est.)
25-54 years: 0.99 male(s)/female (2017 est.)
55-64 years: 0.99 male(s)/female (2017 est.)
65 years and over: 0.81 male(s)/female (2017 est.)
total population: 0.97 male(s)/female (2017 est.)
School life expectancy (primary to tertiary education)
total: 19 years (2014)
male: 18 years (2014)
female: 20 years (2014)
Unemployment, youth ages 15-24
total: 12% (2016 est.) Country comparison to the world: 109th
^"Denmark – Constitution : Part VII – Section 70". Servat.unibe.ch. Retrieved 29 August 2017. No person shall for reasons of his creed or descent be deprived of access to complete enjoyment of his civic and political rights, nor shall he for such reasons evade compliance with any common civic duty.