Dixon's Ferry

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Dixon's Ferry on the Rock River, pre-1903.

Dixon's Ferry was the former name for Dixon, Illinois, United States. It was located on the bank of the Rock River near present-day Illinois Route 26. John Dixon operated a rope ferry service to transport mail from Peoria to Galena, and he also established the first post office. The surrounding settlement was known as Dixon's Ferry.[1]

Plaque marking the site of Dixon's Ferry.

References[edit]

  1. ^ Gibler, Bob. History of Dixon Archived March 30, 2009, at the Wayback Machine, City of Dixon, official site, accessed January 18, 2011.

Coordinates: 41°50′42″N 89°29′02″W / 41.845°N 89.484°W / 41.845; -89.484