Dizang Temple (Fuzhou)
|Completed||19th century (reconstruction)|
Originally built in 527 in the reign of Emperor Wu of the Liang dynasty (502–557), it was called "Falin Bhiksuni Temple" (法林尼寺). The temple was restored in 894, in the 1st year of Qianning period of the Tang dynasty (618–907). It was renamed "Bao'en Temple" (报恩寺) in the mid-5th century during the Five Dynasties (907–979). After the reconstruction in 1864 in the Tongzhi era of the Qing dynasty (1644–1911), its name was changed to "Dizang Temple" (地藏寺).
During the Republic of China, it became a Bhiksuni temple of Pure Land Buddhism. During the Cultural Revolution the Red Guards had attacked the temple in 1966. The government forced Bhiksuni to return to secular life and they used it as a factory. After the 3rd Plenary Session of the 11th Central Committee of the Chinese Communist Party, according to the national policy of free religious belief, the temple reactivated its religious activities. Dizang Temple has been designated as a National Key Buddhist Temple in Han Chinese Area by the State Council of China in 1983.
Now the existing main buildings include Shanmen, Heavenly Kings Hall, Mahavira Hall, Dabei Hall (Hall of Great Compassion), Kṣitigarbha Hall, Maitreya Hall, Skanda Hall, Guanyin Hall, Reception Hall, Dining Hall, and etc.