|Single by Kate Nash|
|from the album My Best Friend Is You|
|Released||12 April 2010|
|Kate Nash singles chronology|
The vinyl cover
"Do-Wah-Doo" is a song by English indie pop singer-songwriter Kate Nash, featured on her 2010 second album My Best Friend Is You (2010). Written by Nash and produced by Bernard Butler, it was released as the lead single from the album on 12 April 2010, one week before the release of the album. "Do-Wah-Doo" was a moderate commercial success, reaching number 15 on the UK Singles Chart – a position exceeded only by her hit song "Foundations" in 2007.
|“||The song's about one of my best friends from when I was younger. He totally betrayed me by hanging out with these enemies of mine - these perfect girls, who wore lip-gloss and talked about boys and were really annoying. He and I had grown up climbing trees, playing in the woods, and going on holiday together, so I thought he'd be cooler than that. But when he turned 15 years old he wanted a girlfriend. I was like, 'Well fine, I'll just pretend I don't give a shit even though I'll never ever forgive you, even when I'm 22 years old and writing a song about it.'||”|
Nick Levine of Digital Spy gave the song a positive review stating:
Three years later and she hasn't started singing like Kiri Te Kanawa, while her lyrics continue to dance a line between "admirably direct" and "downright bleedin' obvious". Still, there's no denying that 'Do Wah Doo' ushers in a subtle shift in direction for Nash without sacrificing the pop smarts that propped up Bricks. Produced by Bernard Butler, it's a girl-groupy pop nugget featuring lashings of surf guitar, some nice brassy bursts and a brain-invading "bum-bum-de-bum" hook. Will it win her any new fans? To be honest, it'll probably come down to how you feel about a girl-groupy pop nugget that rhymes "lady" and "shady"... wrapped up with the line: "Well, I think she's a bitch..
|“||I shot the video for 'Do-Wah-Doo' last week on Thursday and it was so, so much fun! The best fun I ever had on a video shoot. It stars a lot of my wonderful friends who are pretty much amazing. I wrote the treatment almost a year ago. It’s a love story set on a plane in the late '50s. For some reason, the idea has always been in my head.||”|
In the video, Kate Nash is an airline stewardess, and is a rival to another stewardess (who is shown serving alcoholic drinks to the pilots) for the affections of a handsome male steward. At the end of the video, whether due to air turbulence, or the drunkenness of the pilots, or the deliberate actions of the pilots, Nash is literally thrown into the arms of the steward by the motions of the plane.
All tracks are written by Kate Nash.
|7" vinyl (2736397)|
|3.||"R n B Side"||2:16|
|CD single (2737819)|
|2.||"Do-Wah-Doo" (performed by Ryan Jarman)||3:08|
|2.||"Do-Wah-Doo" ("Clocktower Remix" by Nick Zinner)||3:06|
|3.||"Do-Wah-Doo" (music video)||2:41|
|Austria (Ö3 Austria Top 40)||55|
|Belgium (Ultratip Flanders)||8|
|Germany (Official German Charts)||36|
|UK Singles (Official Charts Company)||15|
- "Do Wah Doo by Kate Nash". Songfacts. Retrieved 20 April 2010.
- "Kae Nash's first single". Spin. 7 February 2010. Retrieved 11 April 2010.
- "Kate Nash: 'Do Wah Doo' - Music Review". Digital Spy. 25 March 2010. Retrieved 4 June 2014.
- Knight, David (25 March 2010). "Kate Nash's Do Wah Doo by Daniel Brereton". PromoNews. Archived from the original on 29 March 2012. Retrieved 14 April 2011. For some reason MTV credits producer Rachel Dargavel as director. Kate Nash - "Do Wah Doo". MTV. 24 March 2010. Retrieved 14 April 2011.
- "Kate Nash Announces New Tour And Makes Some Videos". Addict Music. 23 February 2010. Archived from the original on 1 March 2010. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Kate Nash - Do-Wah-Doo (7", Single)". Discogs. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Kate Nash - Do-Wah-Doo (CD, Single)". Discogs. Retrieved 26 April 2010.
- "Austriancharts.at – Kate Nash – Do-Wah-Doo" (in German). Ö3 Austria Top 40.
- "Ultratop.be – Kate Nash – Do-Wah-Doo" (in Dutch). Ultratip.
- "Musicline.de – Kate Nash Single-Chartverfolgung" (in German). Media Control Charts. PhonoNet GmbH.
- "Official Singles Chart Top 100". Official Charts Company.