Docklands Light Railway extension to Dagenham Dock
Coordinates: The Docklands Light Railway extension to Dagenham Dock is a proposed, and as yet unfunded, extension of the Docklands Light Railway to Dagenham Dock in east London. It was anticipated that the project could be completed and open for use by 2017. However the public inquiry has been postponed due to concerns about funding. The proposed extension forms part of the planned transport infrastructure of the London Riverside section of the Thames Gateway redevelopment project.
Proposed route and stations
The proposed route diverges from the Beckton branch at Gallions Reach station in the London Borough of Newham. It follows the River Thames north bank, crossing the mouth of the River Roding in a bored tunnel south of the Barking Flood Barrier. Here it enters the London Borough of Barking and Dagenham and continues to follow the river on a viaduct before heading northwards to reach Goresbrook and Dagenham Dock. It is envisaged that four new stations will be built, with additional platforms at Dagenham Dock which is currently a c2c station.
|Station locale||London borough|
|Creekmouth||Barking and Dagenham|
|Barking Riverside||Barking and Dagenham|
|Goresbrook (formerly Dagenham Vale)||Barking and Dagenham|
|Dagenham Dock (existing station)||Barking and Dagenham|
In 2007 a number of route options went to public consultation, with a decision made in November. An application for a Transport and Works Act order was made during 2008. The order makes provision for the compulsory purchase of land along the route. A public inquiry was due to take place but was postponed. As the reason for this project is almost entirely to serve homes in the Thames Gateway which see no immediate prospect of being built, timescales for this project are now uncertain.
In October 2009 the project featured in the draft transport strategy and the draft replacement of the London Plan. The Mayor's transport strategy states that Transport for London will investigate the feasibility of the extension as part of the housing proposals for Barking Riverside.
- Transport for London - Docklands Light Railway - Dagenham Dock: Key Project Milestones Archived 15 June 2009 at the Wayback Machine
- Transport for London - Docklands Light Railway - Dagenham Dock Archived 4 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine
- Transport for London - DLR Extension to Dagenham Dock Archived 7 June 2008 at the Wayback Machine
- "TfL scraps projects and cuts jobs". BBC News. 6 November 2008. Retrieved 1 May 2010.
- "Light Rail is back on London Mayor's agenda". Railnews. 12 October 2009. Retrieved 13 October 2009.
- "Mayor's Transport Strategy, Chapter five—transport proposals". Transport for London. Archived from the original on 17 October 2009. Retrieved 21 October 2009.