Dodge LCF series
|Dodge LCF series|
|Also called||Dodge C series|
Dodge CT series
Dodge NC series
Dodge NCT series
Dodge PC series
Dodge PD series
|Assembly||Warren, Michigan, United States (Sherwood Assembly)|
Bogotá, Colombia (Chrysler Colmotores: 1967–1978)
|Body and chassis|
|Body style||2-door truck|
|Layout||Front engine, rear-wheel drive|
|Related||Dodge C series|
318 cu in (5.2 L) A V8
361 cu in (5.9 L) B V8
413 cu in (6.8 L) RB V8
477 cu in (7.8 L) IH V8
534 cu in (8.8 L) IH V8
354 cu in (5.8 L) Perkins 6.354 I6
Detroit Diesel units
|Wheelbase||121–212 in (3,073–5,385 mm)|
|Predecessor||Dodge 'Forward Look|
The Dodge LCF (for "Low Cab Forward") was a series of medium- and heavy-duty trucks built by Dodge from 1960 until 1976. They replaced the Dodge Forward Look range of cabover trucks built in the fifties. The 500 through 700 series were medium duty only, while 800 through 1000 series were reserved for heavy-duty versions.
LCF range was also sold in Canada with the Fargo badge. In addition, following Chrysler Corporation policy of badge engineering to provide a greater number of sales outlets overseas, LCFs were also marketed in some countries with the De Soto badge.
LCF cabin section was taken directly from the 1956–1960 range of Dodge pickup trucks, with its panoramic windshield, but was fitted with a unique front section. One of the Dodge LCF's main selling points was accessibility; the sides of the engine compartment and fenders being arranged to swing open. A mechanic could easily stand between the engine and the front wheel while working.
A range of Dodge and International Harvester gasoline engines were available, as were diesels from Perkins (for lighter variants), Cummins, Caterpillar, and Detroit Diesel for the heaviest duty versions, both six-cylinder and V8 versions. Gasoline-powered versions were simply called the "C" series, followed by a numeral indicating weight class, and all of them were V8-powered. Perkins diesel-engined units were called "PC", while inline diesels were called "CN" and V-type diesels were "CV". A "T" following the letters indicates a tandem rear axle. On LCFs equipped with inline-six diesels the engine intruded into the cabin. This was covered with a removable panel for maintenance. A near unlimited range of engines, transmissions, and rear axles were available for what was usually a built-to-order truck. The biggest diesel available was the Cummins V-903, a giant 903 cu in (14,794 cc) unit with a modest 289 hp (216 kW) max output. The smaller 567 cu in (9,299 cc) Detroit Diesel 8V-71N was the most powerful engine, with 300 hp (224 kW) on tap.
With Dodge pulling out of the heavy truck business, the C series' last year in the US market was 1975. A few hundred more CNT800's and CNT900's were exported in 1976 as CKD kits to Latin American countries, where the last units were assembled until 1978.
Dodge truck timeline, North American market, 1970s–present
|Van||A100||Tradesman||Ram Van/Ram Wagon||Ram Van/Ram Wagon||Ram|
|Compact pickup||D-50||Ram 50||Ram 50|
|Full-size pickup||D Series||D Series||Ram (D Series)||Ram||Ram||Ram|
|Heavy-duty truck||LCF/C Series|
|Notes:||‡ The Ramcharger was not sold in the United States after the 1994 model year; it was later made exclusive to Mexico.|
|After Fiat S.p.A. acquired Chrysler LLC in 2009, models of trucks and cargo vans were no longer designated as Dodge, but exclusively as Ram. A timeline of these models can be found here.|