Doug Peterson (politician)
|32nd Attorney General of Nebraska|
|Assumed office |
January 8, 2015
|Preceded by||Jon Bruning|
|Born||1959 (age 59–60)|
Columbus, Nebraska, U.S.
|Education||University of Nebraska,|
Pepperdine University (JD)
Doug Peterson (born 1959) is an American lawyer and politician who is the 32nd and current Attorney General of Nebraska. A Republican, Peterson was elected Attorney General during the 2014 election and assumed office in January 2015.
Peterson, who was born in Columbus, Nebraska, was raised in Lincoln, Nebraska. He graduated from the University of Nebraska in 1981 and earned a Juris Doctorate from the Pepperdine University School of Law in 1985. Peterson worked for the District Attorney of Lincoln County for two years until serving an additional two years as an Assistant Nebraska Attorney General to Robert Spire from 1988 until 1990. He entered private practice, where he would remain until his 2014 election as Attorney General of Nebraska.
In July 2017, Texas Attorney General Ken Paxton led a group of Republican Attorneys General from nine other states, including Peterson, plus Idaho Governor Butch Otter, in threatening the Donald Trump administration that they would litigate if the president did not terminate the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals (DACA) policy that had been put into place by president Barack Obama. Tennessee Attorney General Herbert H. Slatery, III subsequently reversed his position and withdrew his participation from the proposed suit on August 31. Slatery went further to urge passage of the DREAM Act. The other Attorneys General who joined in making the threats against Trump included Leslie Rutledge of Arkansas, Lawrence Wasden of Idaho, Derek Schmidt of Kansas, Jeff Landry of Louisiana, Alan Wilson of South Carolina, and Patrick Morrisey of West Virginia.
|Republican||Brian C. Buescher||48,316||25.49%|
|Nebraska Attorney General Election, 2014|
- "Doug Peterson Sworn in as 32nd Attorney General of Nebraska". 1011now.com. January 8, 2015. Archived from the original on January 9, 2015. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
- Hammel, Paul (February 5, 2014). "Lincoln lawyer Doug Peterson to run for Nebraska attorney general". Omaha.com. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
- Johnson, Megan (January 8, 2015). "Doug Peterson Sworn In as Nebraska Attorney General". ABC. NebraskaTV. Retrieved January 9, 2015.
- Tennessee’s attorney general: I’ve changed my mind, DACA is good, pass the DREAM Act, Vox.com, Dara Linddara, September 1, 2017. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- Texas leads 10 states in urging Trump to end Obama-era immigration program, Texas Tribune, Julián Aguilar, June 29, 2017. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- SPLC denounces letter from 10 Attorneys General seeking "cruel and heartless" repeal of DACA, Southern Poverty Law Center, June 30, 2017. Retrieved September 2, 2017.
- "Official Report – Primary Election – May 13, 2014" (PDF). Office of the Secretary of State of Nebraska. Government of Nebraska. Retrieved October 26, 2018.
| Attorney General of Nebraska
|This article about a Nebraskan politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|