|Population||6,415 (2001 Census) Includes Daventry|
|OS grid reference|
|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
|EU Parliament||East Midlands|
Drayton is a hamlet in England, in the county of Northamptonshire, in the parish of Daventry, 3⁄4 mile (1.2 km) from the centre, occupying mainly with suburban housing the lower-lying north western side of the town.
Te name derives from the Old English "Drægtūn", meaning "farmstead at or near a portage or slope used for dragging down loads" or "Farmstead where drays or sledges are used". This is a common place-name throughout England.
Not much is known about the origins of the hamlet but it is thought to be as old, or nearly as old, as Daventry. It is thought[who?] to have peasant origins, although a Roman pavement was discovered near to the hamlet in 1736.
It was enclosed in 1753. In recent years the hamlet has expanded and is surrounded by and is part of the modern town of Daventry (both civil and ecclesiastical parishes).
There are seven buildings or groups of buildings on the List of Buildings of Special Architectural or Historic Interest. They are all listed as Grade II in the Daventry list under Orchard Street, the Orchards and School Street. They include the Manor House and the school built in 1859 which once catered for the education of 45 children, but it is now a private residence.
The Old School House
- ’OS’ Explorer Map, Rugby & Daventry 222, ISBN 978-0-319-23734-2
- Ordnance Survey of Great Britain New Popular Edition, Sheet 132 - Coventry and Rugby
- 'A Dictionary of British Place-Names', 'Oxford Paperback Reference', A. D. Mills, OUP Oxford, 2003, ISBN 0191578479, 9780191578472 
- History On Line
- British Listed Buildings
Media related to Drayton, Northamptonshire at Wikimedia Commons