|Sovereign state||United Kingdom|
Dufferin (from Irish: [A]n Duibhthrian, meaning "the black third") is a historic barony in County Down, Northern Ireland. It is on the southern half of the west shore of Strangford Lough, and is bordered by three other baronies: Castlereagh Lower to the north; Castlereagh Upper to the west; and Lecale Lower to the south.
Dufferin, along with the barony of Kinelarty and part of Castlereagh was at one time part of the territory of the Cenél Foghartaigh (Kinelarty), ruled by the Mac Artáin (MacCartan) sept. The Ó Labhradha (Lowry, Lavery) sept are also noted in Dufferin.
In the reign of Henry VIII the White family, who were originally from Flemington in County Meath, became Lords of the Manor of Dufferin. Patrick White (died 1561), the first of the White family to own Dufferin, was second Baron of the Court of Exchequer (Ireland). The Whites stayed at Dufferin until 1610, when they sold the barony to James Hamilton, 1st Viscount Claneboye.
Baron Dufferin and Claneboye, of Ballyleidy and Killyleagh in County Down, is a title in the Peerage of Ireland, created in 1800 for Dorcas Blackwood from Killyleagh, who was a direct descendant of the 1st Viscount Claneboye.
List of civil parishes
- Killinchy (also partly in baronies of Castlereagh Lower and Castlereagh Upper)
- Killyleagh (also partly in barony of Castlereagh Upper)
- "Dufferin". Placenames Database of Ireland. Dublin: Department of Community, Rural and Gaeltacht Affairs. Retrieved 18 March 2010.
- "Ulster Place Names - Down Council Area, page 36" (PDF). Archived from the original (PDF) on 2011-05-22. Retrieved 2011-02-02.
- Public Records Office of Northern Ireland - Baronies of Northern Ireland
- Ireland's History in Maps - Ancient Uladh, Ulidia, the Kingdom of Ulster
- Bell, Robert; The book of Ulster surnames, page 60. The Black Staff Press, 2003. ISBN 0-85640-602-3
- Ireland's History in Maps - The Baronies of Ireland
- Ball, F. Elrington The Judges in Ireland 1221-1921 London John Moore and Co. 1926
- Ulster Journal of Archarology Vol. 13 pp. 126-128
- "Dufferin". IreAtlas Townlands Database. Retrieved 15 May 2015.
- "PRONI Civil Parishes of County Down". Archived from the original on 2011-07-27. Retrieved 2011-06-29.
|This article related to the geography of County Down, Northern Ireland is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|