East End, Hampshire
East End is a hamlet in the civil parish of East Boldre in the New Forest National Park of Hampshire, England. Its nearest town is Lymington, which lies approximately 4.2 miles (6.7 km) south-west from the hamlet.
Although traditionally within the parish of Boldre, the name of the hamlet apparently derives from the fact that "East End Bridge" was also the easternmost point of the parliamentary borough of Lymington. The bridge in question is built over Crockford Stream which flows into Sowley Pond just to the southeast of East End. An Independent Chapel was built at East End in 1808, later to become Congregational and, subsequently, a United Reformed Church. The small brick building with its tiled roof survives as a commercial establishment. The hamlet of East End was included in the civil parish of East Boldre when the parish was created in 1929.
- John Gorton, (1833), A topographical dictionary of Great Britain and Ireland, page 30
- East Boldre: A New Forest Squatters Settlement 1700 - 1900
- East Boldre, www3.hants.gov.uk
- East End Arms - New Forest Pub
- The East End Arms, Hampshire: Hotel Guru, Daily Telegraph, 10 September 2011
Media related to East End, Hampshire at Wikimedia Commons
|This Hampshire location article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|