East Ventura station
|Metrolink commuter rail station|
East Ventura station at sunset
|Location||6175 Ventura Boulevard|
Ventura, CA 93003
|Line(s)||Coast Line, Santa Paula branch|
|Platforms||1 side platform|
|Structure type||at-grade with small shade awning|
|Parking||Free short and long term|
|Opened||November 11, 2002|
East Ventura (formerly Montalvo) is a passenger rail station in the city of Ventura, California. Passengers board here for Metrolink's Ventura County Line going towards Los Angeles Union Station. Located in the eastern Ventura neighborhood of Montalvo, the platform is just off the main coast route on the Santa Paula Branch line which is owned by the Ventura County Transportation Commission.
Six Metrolink trains serve the station each weekday. This limited Metrolink service runs only at peak hours in the peak direction of travel (i.e. three morning departures to Los Angeles and three evening arrivals from Los Angeles). This station was added as an extension to the Metrolink system in Fall 2002. Prior to that, Metrolink trains that ran from Los Angeles to Oxnard were stored overnight at this site with no passenger boardings.
The station opened for regular service on November 11, 2002; a grand opening ceremony took place on November 8. Amtrak's Pacific Surfliner remains on the Coast line towards downtown Ventura and Santa Barbara, and does not switch over to serve this station. Growth in commuters traveling towards Los Angeles is expected to favor this location over the (downtown) Ventura station used by the Pacific Surfliner. Overnight storage of trains in downtown would also be expensive if that station was used. On May 9, 2011 Metrolink renamed the station from Montalvo due to the lack of name recognition. Montalvo had been the name of the junction at this location for over a hundred years and subsequently the community, later annexed by the city of Ventura, that grew adjacent to the junction.
Platforms and tracks
|North track||■ Ventura County Line||toward L.A. Union Station (Oxnard)|
|South track||■ Bypass track||No passenger service|
- Biasotti, Tony (February 1, 2012) "Ventura takes first step on annexing Montalvo" Ventura County Star
- Kelly, Peggy (October 15, 1999) "Funding for Montalvo Metrolink station would benefit SP Branch Line" Santa Paula Times
- Wolcott, Holly J. (November 10, 2002). "Metrolink Line Connects With Ventura Riders". Los Angeles Times. p. B3. Retrieved July 7, 2019 – via Newspapers.com.
- BLAKE, CATHERINE "Officials Revise Plan for Ventura Metrolink Station" Los Angeles Times October 11, 1999 Collections: Railroad Stations
- Fulton, Bill (23 May 2011). "All Aboard For East Ventura". Blog of Bill Fulton, former Mayor of Ventura. Archived from the original on 2012-03-21. Retrieved 4 November 2013. Italic or bold markup not allowed in:
|This California train station-related article is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|