Ed Davis (Royal Marines officer)
Ed Davis in August 2012
|Governor of Gibraltar|
|Assumed office |
19 January 2016
|Chief Minister||Fabian Picardo|
|Preceded by||Alison MacMillan (acting)|
Edward Grant Martin Davis
13 February 1963
|Years of service||1981–present|
|Commands||Commandant General Royal Marines (2011–14)|
3 Commando Brigade (2010–11)
War in Afghanistan
|Awards||Companion of the Order of the Bath|
Commander of the Order of the British Empire
Knight of the Order of St John
Officer of the Legion of Merit (United States)
|Viceregal styles of|
|Reference style||His Excellency|
|Spoken style||Your Excellency|
Lieutenant General Edward Grant Martin Davis, CB, CBE (born 13 February 1963) is a British senior Royal Marines officer. He was Commandant General Royal Marines from December 2011 to June 2014. He was the Deputy Commander of NATO's Allied Land Command at Izmir, Turkey. He became Governor of Gibraltar in January 2016.
Davis was commissioned into the Royal Marines in 1981 and joined 40 Commando with whom he undertook a six-month tour in the Falkland Islands and then a six-month tour in Cyprus. In 1996, he attended the Army Command and Staff Course at Staff College, Camberley. In the same year, he became Chief of Staff at the Headquarters of the Combat Service Support Group (UK) in which role he took part in the Bosnian War. He was appointed Chief of Staff to the Commander of the UK’s Amphibious Forces in 2007 and was deployed to Afghanistan as Chief of Joint Effects for ISAF. He was appointed Commander of 3 Commando Brigade in January 2010 and again deployed to Afghanistan – this time as the Commander of Task Force Helmand. He became Commandant General Royal Marines in December 2011.
He was promoted to major general on 10 January 2012, with seniority from 28 November 2011. Davis succeeded Lieutenant General Gordon Messenger as Deputy Commander of NATO Allied Land Command (LANDCOM)-Izmir in July 2014.
Honours and awards
- 14 June 1996 – Appointed a Member of the Order of the British Empire (MBE) 
- 31 December 2005 – Advanced to an Officer of the Order of the British Empire (OBE) in the 2006 New Year Honours
- 23 March 2012 – Advanced to a Commander of the Order of the British Empire (CBE) "in recognition of gallant and distinguished services in Afghanistan during the period 1 April 2011 to 30 September 2011".
- 14 June 2014 – Appointed a Companion of the Order of the Bath (CB) in the 2014 Birthday Honours.
- 5 August 2016 – Appointed a Knight of the Order of St John by Queen Elizabeth II.
- "New Gibraltar governor pledges to ensure sovereignty, safety and success for the Rock". MercoPress. 20 January 2016. Retrieved 20 January 2016.
- "Commandant General Royal Marines". Royal Navy. Retrieved 4 July 2012.
- "Brigade Commander". nationalarchives.gov.uk. Archived from the original on 1 April 2011. Retrieved 23 October 2015.CS1 maint: Unfit url (link)
- "Petraeus visits Royal Marines in Helmand". Defence News. 6 June 2011. Retrieved 24 July 2016.
- City brigadier will lead Royal Marines This is Plymouth, 5 November 2011.
- "No. 60025". The London Gazette (Supplement). 10 January 2012. p. 285.
- "Ups and Outs: May 2014". Defence News. Retrieved 14 June 2014.
- "Commandant General Royal Marines Supersession". Royal Navy. Retrieved 18 June 2014.
- "Change of Governor of Gibraltar". Gov.uk. Retrieved 23 October 2015.
- "No. 54427". The London Gazette. 14 June 1996. p. 5.
- "No. 57855". The London Gazette. 31 December 2005. p. 4.
- "No. 60095". The London Gazette (Supplement). 23 March 2012. p. 5847.
- "Operational Honours and Awards List". Ministry of Defence. 23 March 2012. Retrieved 23 March 2012.
- "No. 60895". The London Gazette (Supplement). 14 June 2014. p. b3.
- "No. 61667". The London Gazette. 5 August 2016. p. 16991.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Ed Davis.|
| Commandant General Royal Marines
Sir James Dutton
| Governor of Gibraltar