Façade of the Eddystone
|Location||100-118 Sproat Street|
|Architectural style||Renaissance Revival|
|NRHP reference #||06000588|
|Added to NRHP||July 12, 2006|
The Eddystone is one of three hotels on Park Avenue designed by Louis Kamper for Lew Tuller; the other two are the Royal Palm at 2305 Park Avenue and the former Park Avenue Hotel at 2643 Park Avenue (across Sproat from the Eddystone). All three are on the National Register of Historic Places. The Park Avenue Hotel was demolished in 2015.
The Eddystone was the first of these hotels to be built. Tuller had already other hotels, and by the early 1920s the northern portion of Park Avenue looked like an ideal place to expand his hotel empire. Tuller hired Louis Kamper to design the hotel on the corner of Park Avenue and Sproat, and the building was constructed in 1924. The hotel had 312 rooms, most of which were rented monthly.
Tuller, however, had overextended himself financially in building his hotels, and in 1928 lost all three Park Avenue hotels. Financier David P. Katz purchased the building, and owned it until 1966. However, the area surrounding the Eddystone became more impoverished, and as the neighborhood's fortunes declined so did the Eddystone's. It continued in operation as a residential hotel until the late 1990s, when it was abandoned.
In 2005, plans to convert the Eddystone into 60 condominiums with street-level retail space were announced by then Michigan Governor Jennifer M. Granholm. In August 2010, work was being carried out on the site to secure the lower floors of the building by bricking up the windows. However, the planned renovation never occurred, and the building continued to sit vacant. In 2015, Olympia Entertainment began construction on the Little Caesars Arena near the Eddystone. As part of the development, the Park Avenue Hotel was demolished, and Olympia was required to redevelop the Eddystone, which sits just outside the footprint of the new arena.
The Eddystone Hotel is a thirteen-story, rectangular, Renaissance Revival steel frame building, clad with brick, limestone, and terra cotta. The first and second stories are clad with limestone, and the upper floors are clad with yellow brick. A denticulated cornice separates the second and third floors, and another terra cotta beltcourse separates the eleventh and twelfth floors. Decorative terra cotta elements are used around the windows on the third, fourth, and twelfth floors, and a terra cotta cornice caps the building.
The main facade is seven bays wide, with the five center bays containing paired windows on each floor and the end bays containing a single window in the third to thirteenth stories. On the lower floors, the center bays contain large arches, the center one of which contains the entrance. The outer bays contain storefront entrances. Through the main entrance is a small vestibule that leads to the main lobby in the center of the building. Elevators and stairwells lead to the upper floors. The upper floors still have the original room layout, with rooms located on three sides of the building and the elevators, main hallway and stairwells located on the fourth.
- "National Register Information System". National Register of Historic Places. National Park Service. April 15, 2008.
- Eric J. Hill, John Gallagher, American Institute of Architects Detroit Chapter, AIA Detroit, Wayne State University Press, 2002, ISBN 0-8143-3120-3, ISBN 978-0-8143-3120-0, p. 60
- Royal Palm Hotel Archived 2011-06-06 at the Wayback Machine from the State of Michigan
- "Commission OKs historic hotel demolition for Detroit Red Wings hockey arena". Crain's Detroit Business. June 11, 2015. Retrieved July 11, 2015.
- Marilyn Florek (February 2005), NATIONAL REGISTER OF HISTORIC PLACES REGISTRATION FORM: Eddystone Hotel
- Michigan Economic Development Corporation,[permanent dead link] Governor Announces Support to Revamp Historic Eddystone Hotel in Detroit, July 15, 2005
- Updates on the state of the Eddystone Hotel, DetroitYES forums
- Dan Austin, Hotel Eddystone
- Joe Guillen (June 11, 2015), "Panel OKs razing historic hotel for Detroit hockey arena", Detroit Free Press