Edgware tube station
|Local authority||London Borough of Barnet|
|Managed by||London Underground|
|Number of platforms||3|
|London Underground annual entry and exit|
|1 June 1964||Goods yard closed|
|London transport portal|
Edgware is a London Underground station in Edgware, in the London Borough of Barnet, in North London. The station is the terminus of the Edgware branch of the Northern line and the next station towards central London is Burnt Oak. Edgware is in Travelcard Zone 5.
The station is in Station Road, Edgware (part of the A5100). This road runs north-east from the High Street (A5), and the station is about 500 metres from the A5 on the right (south-east) side. The building is set back from the road, and there is a circular service road between the building and the road to allow cars to pull in and pick up or set down.
Just to the right of the station, viewed from Station Road, is a road to the bus station and bus garage.
The station was opened on 18 August 1924 as the terminus of the second phase of the Underground Group's extension of the Charing Cross, Euston & Hampstead Railway from Golders Green. It was designed by architect Stanley Heaps. There are three platforms, an island lying east of a single platform (platform 1). A trainshed covers the island platforms (2 and 3).
Despite having already had a railway station since 1867 (Edgware station on the London and North Eastern Railway), Edgware was, in 1924, still very much a village in character. The new Underground station was built on the north edge of the village in open fields and, as intended, the new line stimulated rapid suburban expansion along its length. By the end of the decade, what had formerly been fields was quickly being covered with new housing.
The site of the station is very close to the location intended for the unbuilt Watford and Edgware Railway's (W&ER's) station, which was intended to be built on a branch from the existing single-track LNER branch before the terminus and run through to Watford Junction via Bushey.
New Works Programme
In 1935 London Underground announced its New Works Programme. This had major implications for Edgware Underground station and the Morden-Edgware Line (as the Northern line was then known):
- A group of LNER lines in north London (the Northern Heights lines) including the branch from Finchley to Edgware would be taken over by London Underground and amalgamated with the Morden-Edgware Line.
- The existing Underground line would be extended north-west from Edgware by 5 kilometres to a new terminus at Bushey Heath and a depot at Aldenham. The extension to Bushey Heath involved three new stations (from south-east to north-west):
Much of the land for the railway's alignment had originally been bought by the W&ER in the 19th century, but it had not been able to raise the capital to fund the construction and its power's had expired in 1911. The Underground Group had bought the W&ER in 1922. The Underground's scheme modified the W&ER's plan to connect to the LNER branch by starting the extension from the Morden-Edgware Line station instead. The scheme involved the closure of the LNER station 200 metres south of the Underground station and retained the W&ER's connection to the LNER's single track line from where it passed over the Underground's tracks just to the east of the station and into new platforms to be built in the Underground station.
The new link at Edgware and others between LNER and Underground tracks near East Finchley station and at Finsbury Park would have made it theoretically possible to travel south from Edgware to central London via three routes:
- the existing Underground line to Golders Green, Camden Town and beyond
- the former LNER line to Finchley Central and Highgate, then the other branch of the Morden-Edgware Line to Camden Town and beyond
- the former LNER line to Finchley Central, Highgate and Finsbury Park then the Northern City Line to Moorgate and beyond
Postponement and cancellation
Works to upgrade the existing LNER lines and construction on the new line to Bushey Heath began in the late 1930s but were halted by the outbreak of the Second World War. Additional platforms were started at Edgware and the LNER station and branch line was closed to passenger traffic in 1939 in preparation for the improvements. On the new extension, some earthworks and tunnelling had been undertaken and some structures had been constructed but no further work was done during the war.
The Metropolitan Green Belt was introduced to limit the outward expansion of London into the surrounding countryside. The area through which the new Bushey Heath extension was routed was designated as green belt meaning that the planned residential developments were prevented and the need for the stations serving them was removed.
Edgware LNER station was never reopened for passengers although freight traffic used the line until the 1960s. The improvements on the branch to Finchley were completed only between Mill Hill East and Finchley Central and only that short section was incorporated into the Northern line (as it had been renamed in the late 1930s). The completion of the plans were formally cancelled in 1950.
On 27 July 1946, an accident occurred at Edgware when the driver (James Lofting) of a northbound train suffered a heart attack while entering the station. The train did not stop within the area of the platform, and struck the buffers at approximately 5 mph. No passengers were seriously injured, but Lofting died as a result of his heart failure before he could be removed from the wreckage. It appeared from the condition of the controls that Lofting had disabled the deadman's handle while the train was still moving. The circumstances of this accident were similar to those of the Moorgate tube crash of 1975.
|Preceding station||London Underground||Following station|
|Service arrangement if Northern Heights extension were built|
towards Bushey Heath
via Mill Hill East
via Golders Green
- Edgware, Highgate and London Railway for a history of the Northern Heights lines.
- "Step free Tube Guide" (PDF). Transport for London. March 2019. Archived (PDF) from the original on 1 June 2019.
- "Multi-year station entry-and-exit figures" (XLSX). London Underground station passenger usage data. Transport for London. January 2018. Retrieved 22 July 2018.
- Hardy, Brian, ed. (March 2011). "How it used to be - freight on The Underground 50 years ago". Underground News. London Underground Railway Society (591): 175–183. ISSN 0306-8617.
- Mount, Lt Col A H L (17 October 1946). "Report on the Collision at Edgware" (PDF). Ministry of Transport. Retrieved 21 October 2008.
- "Edgware station going up in the world". Rail Technology Magazine. 23 January 2009. Archived from the original on 15 July 2011. Retrieved 26 January 2009.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Edgware tube station.|
- London Transport Museum Photographic Archive
- Site of Edgware station in 1922 before construction of station. Sign advertises the site of the future station.
- Edgware station in September 1924, shortly after opening
- Trackside view of Edgware station in 1925
- Aerial view of Edgware station in 1926, looking south-east. Surrounded by fields. The single track line to Edgware LNER station is visible in the distance.
- Edgware station ticket hall in 1927
- Lost Lines Images of plans for Edgware station