Edith Weston Priory
Where the Alien cell once stood is now this shallow bay in Rutland Water
|Mother house||Abbey of Saint-Georges, Boscherville, France|
|Diocese||Diocese of Lincoln|
|Location||Edith Weston, Rutland, England|
Edith Weston Priory was a small alien house of Benedictine monks in Edith Weston, Rutland. The French parent house of Abbey of Saint-Georges, Boscherville was founded by Ralf de Tanquerville, chamberlain to William the Conqueror, about the year 1050. By 1114 his son William donated the church and manor at Edith Weston, and a small cell of monks was set up to collect the rents and intercede for the founder's soul.
Like all alien houses control (and revenues) passed to the crown in time of war with France. It was during one of these periods that the priory closed. The last Prior was known in 1361, but by 1394 the church and manor had been sold to St. Anne's Priory, Coventry bringing the priory to an end.
Priors of Edith Weston
- John, 1295-1298
- Hugh de Altifago, 1324-1326
- Robert de Cunebaud, 1339-1355
- William de Beauvey, 1355
- Robert, 1361
- John, 1375,1379
Robert de Cunebaud is known as a delinquent whose abuses were used to justify widespread suspicion of alien cells
- Page, William, ed. (1908). "Alien Cell: Priory of Edith Weston". A History of the County of Rutland: Volume 1. Victoria County History. pp. 163–164. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Historic England. "Edith Weston Priory (325159)". PastScape. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Pevsner, Nikolaus; Williamson, Elizabeth; Brandwood, Geoffrey K. (1985). Leicestershire and Rutland. The buildings of England. Yale University Press. ISBN 9780300096187. Retrieved 26 May 2013.
- Smith, David Michael (1972). The Heads of Religious Houses, England and Wales: 1377-1540. The Heads of Religious Houses, England and Wales. 3. Cambridge University Press. p. 158. ISBN 9780521865081.