Edward Bruce, 10th Earl of Elgin
Edward James Bruce, 10th Earl of Elgin, 14th Earl of Kincardine KT, CMG, TD, CD, JP (9 June 1881 – 27 November 1968) was the son of Victor Bruce, 9th Earl of Elgin who became Assistant Private Secretary to the Secretary State for the Colonies (1908–11) and a director of the Royal Bank of Scotland.
He had been a Captain in the Forfar and Kincardine Royal Garrison Artillery Militia, and when the Territorial Force was created in 1908 he became Commanding officer of the Highland (Fifeshire) Heavy Battery, RGA with the rank of Major, a position that he held at the outbreak of World War I. He served in the war, attaining the rank of Lieutenant-Colonel, and being Mentioned in dispatches twice. In 1918–19 he was Assistant Director of Labour and a Temporary Colonel and Labour Commandant. After the war he received the CMG.
On 5 January 1921, he married Katherine Cochrane, daughter of Lt.-Col. Thomas Cochrane, 1st Baron Cochrane of Cults and Lady Gertrude Boyle. In 1938, his wife was appointed Dame Commander of the Order of the British Empire (DBE).
The couple had six children:
- Lady Martha Veronica Bruce OBE (born 7 November 1921), who became governor of Greenock and Cornton Vale prisons
- Lady Jean Christian Bruce (born 12 January 1923)
- Andrew Bruce, 11th Earl of Elgin (born 17 February 1924)
- Hon. James Michael Edward Bruce (26 August 1927 – 22 April 2013) 
- Lady Alison Margaret Bruce (born 17 October 1931)
- Hon. Edward David Bruce (born 29 February 1936)
- City of Edinburgh (Fortress) Royal Engineers (TA).
- Elgin Regiment (RCAC), Canadian Permanent Militia, appointed 23 November 1938.
- 71st (Forth) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment, Royal Artillery (TA) and its successor, the 371st (Mixed) Heavy Anti-Aircraft Regiment (Forth), RA (TA), appointed 28 January 1939.
- 357th Medium Regiment (Lothians), RA (TA)
- No 948 Balloon Squadron, Royal Auxiliary Air Force (Honorary Air Commodore)
He died at the age of 87 in 1968
- "Edward James Bruce, 10th Earl of Elgin and 14th Earl of Kincardine". National Portrait Gallery.
- Burke's Peerage.
- Monthly Army List, August 1914.
- Profile of Katherine, Countess of Elgin, DBE, ncc.nsw.gov.au; accessed 29 March 2016.
- "Hon James Michael Edward Bruce, CBE 1927-2013". Peerage News.
- Monthly Army List May 1939.
- Hansard 1803–2005: contributions in Parliament by the Earl of Elgin
Sir Ralph Anstruther, Bt
| Lord Lieutenant of Fife
1935 – 1965
The Earl of Eglinton
| Grand Master of the
Grand Lodge of Scotland
1921 – 1924
The Earl of Stair
|Peerage of Scotland|
| Earl of Elgin
1917 – 1968
| Earl of Kincardine|
1917 – 1968