|Born||19 August 1942|
|Died||26 June 2011 (aged 68)|
|Education||St Hilda's College, Oxford|
|Institutions||University of Oxford|
Education and career
Matthews was an alumna of St Hilda's College, Oxford, where she took a BA in Literae Humaniores (1960–64) and was a pupil of Barbara Levick. She went on to take the MPhil (then BPhil) in Ancient History, working on Lucian. After a break to raise her two daughters, Matthews embarked on a research career in Greek onomastics at the University of Oxford. In 2010, after she had retired, she was the dedicatee of a Festschrift on Ancient Greek personal names in honour of her distinguished career, containing a collection of scholarly essays on Greek onomastics but with an appreciation of Matthews as a scholar by Alan Bowman as its first chapter.
She was a supernumerary fellow of St Hilda's College, Oxford from 1996 and was honorary secretary for the Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies, of which she was also a trustee, for twenty-one years.
- A Lexicon of Greek Personal Names I-IV (with Simon Hornblower). Oxford: Clarendon Press, 1987-2005.
- Greek Personal Names: Their Value as Evidence (with Simon Hornblower). Proceedings of the British Academy 104. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2000.
- Old and New Worlds in Greek Onomastics. Edited by Elaine Matthews. Proceedings of the British Academy 148. Oxford: Oxford University Press, 2007.
- Lexicon of Greek Personal Names (Oxford Classics Faculty page)
- Lexicon of Greek Personal Names (project website)
- Bowman, Alan (2011). "Elaine Matthews". Britannia. 42: xii–xiv.
- Bowman, Alan (2010). "Elaine Matthews: An Appreciation". Onomatologos: 1–4.
- Catling, Marchand & Sasanow (2010). Onomatologos. Studies in Greek Personal Names presented to Elaine Matthews. Oxford: Oxbow Books. ISBN 9781842179826.
- "Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies". Open Charities register.
- "2011 Annual Report" (PDF). Society for the Promotion of Roman Studies.
- Bowman, Alan and Jackie. "Elaine Matthews obituary". The Guardian. Retrieved 22 May 2017.