Elizabeth Sondra Schwartz
|Alma mater||Columbia University|
|Parent(s)||Sheila Fay Gopen Schwartz|
Charles A. Schwartz
She was born Elizabeth Sondra Schwartz to a Jewish family, the daughter of Sheila Fay (née Gopen) and Charles A. "Chuck" Schwartz. Both her parents were physicians. She has two sisters and a brother: Pamela Fay Cohen, Julia Molly Healy, and David Ansin Schwartz. Cohen attended Columbia College, and graduated with a bachelor's degree in history. She went on to earn a master's degree in public health from Boston University. She has received outstanding alumna awards from both colleges.
Cohen worked at WLVI in Boston as associate producer of environmental program Green Watch. She also worked as a reporter for States News Service in Washington, DC and for The Times Union in Albany, New York. Cohen joined CNN in 1991. She focuses on health-related issues and has reported from a medical angle on major news stories including the Gulf oil spill, the 2010 Haiti earthquake and Hurricane Katrina. She is currently senior medical correspondent for CNN's Health, Medical and Wellness unit.
Cohen won a Hearst Award during her time at the Times Union. She won a Sigma Delta Chi Award from the Society of Professional Journalists and a National Headliner Award for the feature "A Lesson Before Dying" in 2006. She was honored by the Newswomen's Club of New York, the New York Association of Black Journalists for the feature "African-Americans and Bone Marrow Transplants", and the Mental Health America Media Awards in 2007 for her reporting work. She won a Gracie Award in 2008 for the feature "Where’s Molly?"
She published a book titled The Empowered Patient in 2010.
She is married to Israeli-born entrepreneur Tal Cohen; they have four daughters.
- The Boston Globe: "CHARLES A. "CHUCK" SCHWARTZ M.D." April 25, 2014
- The Boston Globe: "Sara Gopen (Liberman) Weintraub" May 30, 2009
- Jewish Exponent: "Power to the Patient!} by dmichaels March 6, 2013
- "Elizabeth Cohen". CNN.com. Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- Marcus, Mary Brophy (2010-08-11). "CNN's Elizabeth Cohen shares how to be 'Empowered Patient'". USA Today. Retrieved 2011-05-18.
- Atlanta Jewish Times: "Entrepreneur Profile: Tal Cohen - Tal Cohen has lived the American dream; interesting for a man who has lived more than half his life in Israel" October 31, 2012