|Chemical and physical data|
|Molar mass||154.4 g/mol g·mol−1|
In the clinical trials that lead to emapalumab's FDA approval, the most commonly reported adverse effects were infections (56%), high blood pressure (41%), infusion reactions (27%), and fever (24%). Serious adverse effects occurred in about half of the subjects studied in the clinical trial that led to its FDA approval.
Mechanism of action
In the setting of HLH, over-secretion of IFN-γ is thought to contribute to the pathogenesis of the disease. Emapalumab binds and neutralizes IFN-γ, preventing it from inducing pathological effects.
Society and culture
The research name of emapalumab was NI-0501. A phase II/III trial began in 2013 and is ongoing as of August 2018[update]. The trial targets patients under the age of 18 who have failed to improve on conventional treatments. This study was realised in the context of an EU-funded FP7 project, named FIGHT-HLH (306124).
- "STATEMENT ON A NONPROPRIETARY NAME ADOPTED BY THE USAN COUNCIL" (PDF). Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Gamifant injection, for intravenous use. Package Insert" (PDF). gamifant.com. Swedish Orphan Biovitrum. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "FDA Approves Gamifant® (emapalumab-lzsg), the First and Only Treatment Indicated for Primary Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH)". Business Wire. Business Wire, Inc. Retrieved 21 November 2018.
- "Long-term Follow-up of HLH Patients Who Received Treatment With NI-0501, an Anti-interferon Gamma Monoclonal Antibody - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov". clinicaltrials.gov.
- "Emapalumab Approved for Rare Primary Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis". Rare Disease Report. Retrieved 22 November 2018.
- "Novimmune's NI-0501 Granted Breakthrough Therapy Designation by US FDA for Treatment of Patients With Primary Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis (HLH) - FierceBiotech". www.fiercebiotech.com.
- "Emapalumab - NovImmune - AdisInsight". adisinsight.springer.com.
- "A Study to Investigate the Safety and Efficacy of an Anti-IFNγ mAb in Children Affected by Primary Haemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis - Full Text View - ClinicalTrials.gov". clinicaltrials.gov.
- "NI-0501: A Study to Investigate the Safety and Efficacy of an Anti-IFN? mAb in Children Affected by Primary Hemophagocytic Lymphohistiocytosis". www.cincinnatichildrens.org.