|Alma mater||Karolinska Institute|
|Known for||Shared parenting, Stress during pregnancy|
|Institutions||Karolinska Institute, Stockholm University|
|Thesis||Preterm birth : parents' experiences, affect, stress and inflammatory markers (2012)|
Emma Fransson is a child psychologist and epidemiologist at Stockholm University and the Karolinska Institute in Sweden. Her expertise is in the health and social implication of shared parenting arrangements on children after their parents are divorced. She has also studied the effects of stress during pregnancy.
Fransson is a co-lead investigator on the Elvis project at the Center for Health Equity Studies, jointly run by Stockholm University and the Karolinska Institute. In this project, children are followed after their parents have divorced or separated, measuring various physical and mental health outcomes, as well as social and behavioral metrics. In her work, Fransson has shown that the well-being of children is higher under shared parenting versus sole custody.
Her research on shared parenting has been cited by The Guardian, when she found the same level of psychological complaints in children in shared residency as in those in nuclear families, while children living with one parent had higher levels of psychological complaints. Her research has also been covered by The Mail on Sunday in Engalnd, Diritto & Diritti in Italy, ABC Nyheter in Norway, Extra Bladet in Denmark, Wiener Zeitung in Austria, Svenska Dagbladet in Sweden, and Observador in Portugal.
- Fransson E, Örtenstrand A, Hjelmstedt A. Antenatal depressive symptoms and preterm birth: a prospective study of a Swedish national sample. Birth. 2011 38:10-16.
- Fransson E, Dubicke A, Byström B, Ekman‐Ordeberg G, Hjelmstedt A, Lekander M. Negative emotions and cytokines in maternal and cord serum at preterm birth. American Journal of Reproductive Immunology. 2012, 67:506-514.
- Bergström M, Modin B, Fransson E, Rajmil L, Berlin M, Gustafsson PA, Hjern A. Living in two homes-a Swedish national survey of wellbeing in 12 and 15 year olds with joint physical custody. BMC Public Health. 2013, 13:868.
- Bergström M, Fransson E, Modin B, Berlin M, Gustafsson PA, Hjern A. Fifty moves a year: is there an association between joint physical custody and psychosomatic problems in children? Journal of Epidemiology and Community Health. 2015.
- Fransson E, Sarkadi A, Hjern A, Bergström M. Why should they live more with one of us when they are children to us both?: Parents' motives for practicing equal joint physical custody for children aged 0–4. Children and youth services review. 2016, 66:154-160.
- Fransson E, Låftman SB, Östberg V, Hjern A, Bergström M. The living conditions of children with shared residence–the Swedish example. Child Indicators Research. 2017 Jan:1-23.
- Fransson E, Hjern A, Bergström M. What Can We Say Regarding Shared Parenting Arrangements for Swedish Children?, Journal of Divorce & Remarriage, 2018, 59,349-358.
- Fransson E, Låftman SB, Östberg V, Bergström M. Wellbeing among children with single parents in Sweden: focusing on shared residence. In R. Nieuwenhuis & L. C. Maldonado (Eds.), The triple bind of single-parent families. Resources, employment and policies to improve well-being. Great Britain: Policy Press, 2018.
- The Elvis Project, Department of Public Health, Stockholm University.
- Karolinska Institute, Emma Fransson
- Stockholm University, Emma Fransson
- Google Scholar, Emma Fransson
- Karolinska Institute, Emma Fransson
- See bibliography.
- Luisa Dillner, Is sharing residency better for children’s mental health?, The Guardian, January 24, 2016.
- Jane Palmer, Couples who stay together 'for the sake of the children' are not doing the best thing for their youngsters' mental health, The Mail on Sunday, January 16, 2016.
- Maria Serenella Pignotti, Il protocollo di Brindisi o protocollo dei padri separati, Diritto & Diritti, July 28, 2017.
- Leni Aurora Brækhus, Skilsmissebarn med delt bosted har det bedre enn barn hos aleneforeldre, ABC Nyheter, January 31, 2017.
- Thomas Harder , Ny skilsmisseforskning: 7-7 ordning giver sundere børn, Extra Bladet, March 28, 2017.
- André Anwar, im Mutterleib, Wiener Zeitung, April 9, 2012.
- Mikaela Åkerman, Stress påverkar foster, Svenska Dagbladet, March 11, 2012.
- Ana Cristina Marques, Associação defensora da guarda partilhada agora assina carta aberta contra petição entregue no parlamento, Observador, July 18, 2018.