Environment & Energy Publishing
|Owner(s)||Michael Witt & Kevin Braun|
|Headquarters||122 C Street NW, 7th floor, Washington, D.C., US|
Environment & Energy Publishing, doing business as E&E News, is an online news organization that covers energy and environmental policy, markets and science. Based in Washington, D.C., it publishes about 70 energy and environmental news stories each day. As of 2014, it employed roughly 75 journalists in ten cities across the United States.
History and publications
E&E is a subscription-based news service with paywalls. As of 2014, annual subscriptions cost between $2,000 and $150,000, depending on the range of products subscribed to. It was founded in 1998 by Kevin Braun and Michael Witt, with seven initial employees. The company began as a Capitol Hill clipping service, later became a weekly newsletter, and in 2000 became a Web-based news service.
As a specialist, niche news service, most of E&E's subscribers are institutions, including think tanks, energy companies and other corporations, environmentalist groups, law firms, and state and federal agencies.
Publications and services that are or were part of E&E News include EnergyWire (launched in 2012), ClimateWire (launched in 2008), E&E Daily, E&E PM, OnPoint (a daily webcast), and Greenwire (purchased from the National Journal). E&E formerly had a content partnership with The New York Times. Pieces from E&E's ClimateWire are sometimes republished by Scientific American.
In January 2018, E&E News announced former editor-in-chief Kevin Braun would be stepping down and named Cy Zaneski as executive editor. The company cited inappropriate behavior as the reason for Braun's ouster.
- O'Donovan, Caroline (March 25, 2014). "E&E Publishing is spending a lot of money on reporting most people won't ever see". Nieman Journalism Lab. Retrieved 18 December 2014.
- Curtis Brainard, E&E News Launches ClimateWire, Columbia Journalism Review (April 1, 2008).
- Amanda Palleschi, Trump circus squeezes a key media niche on Capitol Hill, Columbia Journalism Review (November 21, 2017).
- Witt, Michael (January 5, 2018). "Editorial leadership change". E&E News. Retrieved 20 May 2018.
- "EPA bars AP, CNN from summit on contaminants". Associated Press. 22 May 2018. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- "Guards "forcibly" prevent AP reporter from attending EPA summit". Axios.com. 22 May 2018. Retrieved 22 May 2018.
- Associated Press (22 May 2018). "Associated Press reporter: I was shoved by security guards outside an event featuring embattled EPA chief Scott Pruitt". Retrieved 22 May 2018 – via CNBC.com.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)
- Associated Press (22 May 2018). "Pruitt bars AP, CNN from EPA summit on contaminants, guards push reporter out of building". Retrieved 22 May 2018 – via NBCNews.com.CS1 maint: Uses authors parameter (link)