English First (lobbying organization)
Jump to navigation Jump to search
- Raymond Tatalovich Nativism Reborn?: The Official English Language Movement and the American States (Lexington: University Press of Kentucky, 1995 "English First was founded by Larry Pratt, former Virginia state representative and the president of Gun Owners of America. English First is affiliated with the Committee to Protect the Family."
- David M. Reimers Unwelcome Strangers: American Identity and the Turn Against Immigration New York: Columbia University Press, 1998 "U.S. English bankrolled several successful state campaigns. California in 1986, the same year that English First was founded, became the most important state to adopt an official English proposition (Proposition 63). San Francisco had been ..."
- Karen L. Adams, Daniel T. Brink Perspectives on Official English: The Campaign for English as the Official Language of the USA - 1990 Page 3 "Another, less well-known group is English First, whose motto is "Our symbol is the statue of liberty torch, capturing the spirit of ..."
- Marcia Moraes Bilingual Education: A Dialogue with the Bakhtin Circle 1996 Page 63 "One group is the 100,000-member English First, of Springfield, Va. The other, U. S. English, with 240,000 members, was established in 1983. . . . These two groups ... not alone on this issue. There are other lobbying groups ..."
- Nicole Teyechea McNeil Nilingualism: Life Histories of Bilingual Teachers Working within English-only referendums in Arizona and California 2008 Page 85 "... on behalf of the English First organization. Crawford (1996) has linked the founder to white supremacists. English First was established in 1986 as a movement that believes "that the English language unites America. They are tired of seeing ...""
- Fredric Field Bilingualism in the USA: The case of the Chicano-Latino .. 2011 Page 288 "English First"
- Edward R. Drachman, Robert Langran You Decide: Controversial Cases in American Politics 2008- Page 76 "However, critics such as the English First organization deem it a mistake as it detracts from the learning of English by new immigrants which, among other things, will retard their assimilation into American culture."
- Rosalie Pedalino Porter American Immigrant: My Life in Three Languages 2011 Page 422 -"... the Center for Equal Opportunity, and me at the READ Institute. In fact, we three had been honored the previous September at a Washington, D.C., press event sponsored by the English First organization, with “Leadership Awards” presented ..."
- Geoffrey K. Pullum The Great Eskimo Vocabulary Hoax and Other Irreverent Essays 1991 "The English First organization, with its highly un-American hostility to immigrants (immigrants other than Anglos like me, of course) ..."
- Frances Negrón-Muntaner, Ramón Grosfoguel - Puerto Rican Jam: Rethinking Colonialism and Nationalism 1997 -Page 266 "The English First organization also publicly advocated for Puerto Rico's right to be separate and independent. Privately, the group also asked members to donate money to impede statehood efforts.” Finally, while it is possible to read the ..."
- Language (magazine) Volume 65, Issues 3-4 - Page 579 1989 "More extreme approaches to language policy have been taken by the Virginia-based 'English First' organization and the Texas-based American Ethnic Coalition. Until recently, their political activities appear to have been restricted largely to ...