Eugene W. Chafin
Eugene Wilder Chafin
November 1, 1852
East Troy, Wisconsin, U.S.
|Died||November 30, 1920 (aged 68)|
Long Beach, California, U.S.
Chafin was born in East Troy, Wisconsin and worked as a lawyer in Waukesha, Wisconsin from 1876 to 1900. He was the Prohibition Party candidate for Congress (Wisconsin) in 1882 and (Chicago) in 1902, for Attorney-General of Wisconsin in 1886 and 1900, for Governor of Wisconsin in 1898, and for Attorney-General of Illinois in 1904. In 1908 he was appointed to the bar of the Supreme Court of the United States and in the following year moved to Arizona. While in Arizona he ran for that state's United States Senate Seat.
He was the Prohibition Party candidate for President of the United States in the 1908 election and 1912 election receiving 253,840 and 207,972 votes, respectively, approximately 1.5% each time. He also ran as the Prohibition Party candidate in the U.S. Senate election in Arizona in 1914, placing third with 15% of the total vote.
Books by E. W. Chafin
- Voters' Handbook, (1876)
- Lives of the Presidents, (1896)
- Lincoln, the Man of Sorrow, (1908)
- Washington as a Statesman, (1909)
This article needs additional citations for verification. (March 2015) (Learn how and when to remove this template message)
- WF staff 1920.
- "AZ US Senate Election, 1914". Our Campaigns. Our Campaigns. Retrieved 30 January 2019.
- November 1920 obituary & newspaper report
- "Chafin, Eugene W, Marriage Index Record". Wisconsin Historical Society. Retrieved March 2015. Check date values in:
- "Hunkins, Carrie A, Marriage Index Record". Wisconsin Historical Society. Retrieved March 2015. Check date values in:
- WF staff (November 30, 1920). "Noted prohibitionist hurt in explosion in his home". Waukesha Freeman. Retrieved March 2015. Check date values in:
|accessdate=(help) — Cutting held by Wisconsin Historical Society
- Rohr, Ellen M., ed. (2011). "Machine readable copy of "Noted prohibitionist hurt in explosion in his home"". Waukesha County: Online Genealogy and Family History Library.
- County Waukesha records for Eugene W. Chafin: Biographical book excerpts, obituary, marriage index record, and newspaper article clippings Retrieved March 2015
|Party political offices|
Silas C. Swallow
| Prohibition nominee for President of the United States
|This article about an Illinois politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|
|This article about a Wisconsin politician is a stub. You can help Wikipedia by expanding it.|