Evington is an Electoral ward and administrative division of the city of Leicester, England. It used to be a small village centred on Main Street and the Anglican church of St Denys but was close enough to Leicester to become one of the outer suburbs in the 1930s. Today, the ward comprises the historical village of Evington, as well as the modern ex-council estates of Rowlatts Hill and Goodwood. The population of the ward at the 2011 census was 11,133.
- 1 History
- 2 Features
- 3 Amenities
- 4 Transport
- 5 Council Election Result, 2007
- 6 People
- 7 References
- 8 Further reading
The name Evington comes from the Anglo-Saxon name Aefa's Tun. After the Norman conquest the land was given to Hugh de Grentesmesnil. The first known spelling Evington was of Walter de Evington 1259 who leased a carucate of land at the village of Evington – about 100 acres (0.40 km2). The parish of Evington was originally quite large and included the areas now known as North Evington and Evington Valley. These were annexed by the borough of Leicester in 1892, and are not generally considered part of Evington.
In 1935, the boundaries of Leicester (by this point a city), were expanded again, including nearly all of the remaining parish of Evington, except for a small part which went to Oadby. The modern ward does include the large 1950s development based at Downing Drive and Spencefield Lane.
Rowlatts Hill is a council estate established on a hillside to the north of Leicester General Hospital in 1964–67 by the City Architect Stephen George with two 22-story blocks of flats and single or two-storey houses of grey brick. A later development (1973–77) is of red brick houses. For council housing purposes it is considered separate from Evington.
Evington Village Green is a triangle of land bounded to the north by Main Street, on the Southwest by High Street and to the east by Church Street. The village war memorial is located on the northeast corner. On the west corner is a Baptist Chapel and a building called the Manse. It is largely open space for recreation, with a large old oak tree in the south-east corner. It also features a newly refurbished children's playground, funded by the Friends of Evington Village Green. It is the site of the Evington Village Fete and Show, held annually.
Evington park is some 44 acres (0.18 km2) of public parkland, opened in 1948, formerly the estate of Evington House (built 1836) which is used as offices and some public amenities. It contains many mature trees, including a Mulberry dating from about the same time as the house. There are public exercise machines as well as tennis courts, football and cricket pitches and bowling greens. More recently, a concrete table tennis table has been added and is situated near the tennis courts. Public toilets have also been built near the courts.
This was established as a public amenity in 1970 and consists of an area south of St Denys Church, bounded on the west by a golf course, with more than 500 trees largely planted in taxonomic groups. In the northmost area, many individual trees are planted by arrangement with the council as memorials to people who have died.
This is Scheduled monument (SM17026), often known as 'Piggy's Hollow', consisting of the remains of the moats of a manor house built in the late 13th century by John de Grey. It is on the north side of the Arboretum and adjacent to St Denys Church on the west.
St Denys Church
The Church of England church of St Denys has been the parish church for almost 800 years, having been dedicated on 9 October 1219 by the Bishop of Lincoln. It is a Grade II* listed building. The tower and spire are original: the South and North Aisles date from the 14th century, and the Chancel from the 19th century. Its rare ring of 4 bells was augmented to six following an appeal in the late 1980s. The interior includes 3 stained glass windows from 1870.
Masjid Umar Mosque
Evington has two main shopping centres: the first largely based in a modern development near the old village and including the local library, and the second towards the northern end of Downing Drive. Public houses include the Cedars in the old village and the Dove in Downing Drive. The Village Hall is a brick building on Church Lane, opposite St Denys: its foundation stone calls it King George V Hall and is dated MDCDXII (1912).
Evington is home to the Leicestershire Golf Club, on the south of the village, and west of the arboretum.
The Evington Echo is the community newspaper. It is produced by volunteers and is delivered free of charge to 5,800 houses in the area. It was first published in 1981 and the current (2013) editor is Helen Pettman.
Schools in the area
Primary schools: Linden Primary School, Mayflower Primary School, Evington Valley Primary School, Whitehall Primary School, Oaklands (Special School), Coleman Primary School, Krishna Avanti Primary School, Leicester.
Independent schools: Leicester Grammar School.
Evington Hall is a Grade II listed building (built about 1840) which in the past was a convent school, then part of Leicester Junior Grammar School, but is now part of a Hindu faith school which opened in September 2011.
Evington is connected to other parts of Leicester by the following bus services:
Arriva Fox County services 53/53A, 56/56A
Centrebus Services 10, 11, 22, 40, 54A, 81 and 747,
Coachmaster Service 36
First Leicester Services 22, 38/38A and 54.
Council Election Result, 2007
|Liberal Democrat||Bob Carter||708||9%|
|Liberal Democrat||Chris Garner||506||7%|
|Unity for Peace and Socialism||Mohinder Singh Farma||283||4%|
|Labour gain from Conservative||Swing|
Evington was the home of England Football international Emile Heskey. Both Emile Heskey and Gary Lineker (Winner of the Golden Boot) attended the City of Leicester College in Evington, as did former Labour media advisor Alastair Campbell and Dr Nicholas Shepherd (Co-founder of the internet). Heskey and Shepherd were both pupils at Linden Primary school in Evington. What is now the Cedars public house and restaurant on the corner of Main Street and School Lane was formerly the home of novelist E. Phillips Oppenheim.
- "City of Leicestet ward population 2011". Neighbourhood Statistics. Office for National Statistics. Retrieved 4 June 2016.
- Leicester City Council Archived 26 August 2010 at the Wayback Machine A History of Evington Park
- British History Online R. A. McKinley (editor)(1958) A History of the County of Leicester: volume 4: The City of Leicester
- www.leicester.gov.uk Archived 10 January 2011 at the Wayback Machine Evington Village
- Pevsner, N., & Williamson, E., (1985) The Buildings of England: Leicestershire and Rutland; 2nd ed. (Penguin Books)
- Leicester City Council Housing Allocation Areas Guide 2004-5 Archived 25 May 2006 at the Wayback Machine
- Goodwood & Evington Tenants and Residents Association
- Leicester City Council housing supply Archived 22 September 2012 at the UK Government Web Archive
- Leicester City Council Archived 13 August 2011 at the Wayback Machine Evington Village Open Spaces (2003)
- Leicester City Council Archived 29 September 2011 at the UK Government Web Archive Evington park
- Evington Arboretum: leaflet (undated) by Leicester City Council Parks and Garded Spaces
- Leicester City Council Archived 1 January 2011 at the Wayback Machine Shady Lane Arboretum
- Leicester City Council Archived 29 September 2011 at the UK Government Web Archive The Hollow, Evington
- Evington Echo Archived 26 April 2012 at the Wayback Machine Piggy's Hollow
- www.stdenys.org.uk Archived 7 May 2011 at the Wayback Machine History
- www.heritagegateway.org Parish Church of St Denys
- Evington Chapel
- www.heritagegateway.org.uk/ Evington Chapel
- Leicester Mercury Oct 31, 2003 Mosque Wins Readers' Vote of Approval
- BBC Leicester 2004 Exclusive access to Masjid Umar mosque
- Mosque website
- www.heritagegateway.org.uk Evington Hall
- Leicester Mercury, Sep 6, 2011 Leicester's Hindu school is a beacon, says Education Secretary Michael Gove
- Evington Echo Feb/March 2011 Archived 19 March 2012 at the Wayback Machine Evington Hall will be a Hindu State Primary School
- British History Online Evington
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Evington.|