Pinhook, Clam Union
Falmouth Welcome Sign in February 2018
|Established||December 18, 1871|
|Time zone||UTC-5 (Eastern (EST))|
|• Summer (DST)||UTC-4 (EDT)|
Falmouth (occasionally known as Clam Union and formerly known as Pinhook) is an unincorporated community in northwestern Clam Union Township, Missaukee County, Michigan. The town is located northeast of McBain and southeast of Lake City. The town is home to the Ebels General Store.
It began as a lumbering settlement and was first known as "Pinhook". A post office named Falmouth was established on December 18, 1871, with Eugene W. Watson as the first postmaster. In 1873, Falmouth nearly became the county seat, losing to Reeder (now Lake City) by one vote. John Koopman built a store in 1879, and in 1881 bought the village plat, along with its saw, shingle and grist mill.
In 1920, Ebels General Store was opened by Chris Ebel. This is what made Falmouth a popular tourist destination for northwest Michigan. In 2017, Ebels Hardware opened and became one of the largest independent hardware stores in Michigan.
The Falmouth post office, with ZIP code 49632, also serves portions of northern and eastern Clam Union Township, as well as all of Holland Township to the east, and portions of Butterfield Township to the northeast, Aetna Township to the north, and smaller areas in Reeder Township to the northwest and Riverside Township to the west.
The main roads that provide access to Falmouth are Prosper Road (to the east), 7 Mile Road (to the northeast), Forward Road (to the north and south), and Falmouth Road (to the west.
Nearby major highways
- "GNIS Detail - Falmouth". geonames.usgs.gov. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "Ebels General Store in Falmouth Michigan". ebelsgeneralstore.com. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- U.S. Geological Survey Geographic Names Information System: Falmouth Post Office
- Romig, Walter (1986) . Michigan Place Names. Detroit, Michigan: Wayne State University Press. ISBN 0-8143-1838-X.
- "Ebels General Store - About Our Store". ebelsgeneralstore.com. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- "Company Info Ebels Hardware Falmouth, MI (231) 826-3334". www.ebelshardware.com. Retrieved 2018-02-19.
- 49632 5-Digit ZCTA, 496 3-Digit ZCTA - Reference Map - American FactFinder[permanent dead link], U.S. Census Bureau, 2000 census