|• Total||41.1845 km2 (15.9014 sq mi)|
|• Density||4,031/km2 (10,440/sq mi)|
|Time zone||UTC+8 (National Standard Time)|
|Alternative Chinese name|
Fengyuan District (Chinese: 豐原區) is a district located in north-central Taichung, Taiwan on the south bank of the Dajia River. Fengyuan district is the third most populated district among former Taichung County, ranking after Dali and Taiping district. Fengyuan is recognized as Huludun in early times, meaning "gourd" in Chinese, for a gourd-shape pile of mud was found in Fengyuan by the aborigines. The rice yielded from Fengyuan is famous for its high quality and the bakery industry prospered in later decades. Because of the extraordinary location of the intersection of Taiwan railway west trunk and Dongshi branch line, Fengyuan quickly expanded after World War II. It soon became one of the political, economic and communication centers of central Taiwan, playing an important role in the development of the central part of this island. Recently, Fengyuan faces the challenge of being marginalized after the amalgamation of Taichung County and Taichung City in December 2010.
Before the arrival of the Han Chinese, the area of Fengyuan city was inhabited by Taiwanese aborigines. Their name for the area, meaning "thriving pine forest", which was transcribed into Chinese characters as 泰耶爾墩. Before the mid-18th century, the area was a territory of the Pazeh people, which they called Haluton. This name was adapted into Hokkien as Haloton (Chinese: 葫蘆墩; Pe̍h-ōe-jī: Hô͘-lô͘-tun; literally: 'gourd mound').
Empire of Japan
In 1905, during Japanese rule, the Holotun Station was erected, putting the area along a main thoroughfare. In 1920, the Governor-General of Taiwan gave the town its name, Toyohara (Japanese: 豐原), meaning flourishing plain. Emperor Meiji′Emperor Taishō′Hirohito ate rice supplied from Fengyuan City.
Republic of China
After the handover of Taiwan from Japan to the Republic of China in 1945, Fengyuan was organized as an urban township of Taichung County and was made the capital of the county. On 1 March 1973, Fengyuan was upgraded to a county-administered city due to its population. On 25 December 2010, Taichung County was merged with Taichung City and Fengyuan was upgraded to a district of the city with Xitun District was made as the capital of the city.
Fengyuan, Fengrong, Dingjie, Zhongshan, Xiajie, Zhongyang, Danan, Beinan, Tungnan, Xinan, Fengxi, Zunliao, Fengzun, Fuchun, Hulu, Xian, Xishi, Zhongxing, Shepi, Sancun, Tungshi, Minsheng, Tianxin, Fengtian, Liancun, Yangming, Nanyang, Beiyang, Tungyang, Nancun, Nantian, Nansong, Wengming, Wengzi, Wengshe and Pozi Village.[obsolete source]
Eastern hill part of Fengyuan.
Night market of Miao Dong
- Chang Yu-sheng, pop singer
- Johnny Chiang, Minister of Government Information Office (2010–2011)
- Kuan Bi-ling, member of Legislative Yuan
- Lin Chung-chiu, baseball player
- Liu Fu-hao, baseball player
- Tu Ai-yu, golfer
- Winnie Hsin, pop singer
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fengyuan District, Taichung.|