Fiat Tipo (2015)
2016 Fiat Tipo 5-door hatchback
|Also called||Fiat Egea (Turkey)|
Dodge Neon (Mexico & Middle East)
|Assembly||Bursa, Turkey (Tofaş)|
|Designer||Centro Stile Fiat|
|Body and chassis|
|Class||Compact car (C)|
|Body style||4-door sedan|
5-door station wagon
|Platform||FCA Small Wide|
|Engine||1.4 L Fire I4 (petrol)|
1.4 L T-Jet I4 (petrol)
1.4 L T-Jet I4 (petrol/LPG)
1.6 L E.torQ I4 (flexfuel)
1.3 L Multijet I4 (diesel)
1.6 L Multijet I4 (diesel)
|Wheelbase||2,638 mm (103.9 in)|
|Length||Sedan: 4,532 mm (178.4 in)|
Hatchback: 4,368 mm (172.0 in)
Station Wagon: 4,571 mm (180.0 in)
|Width||1,792 mm (70.6 in)|
|Height||Sedan: 1,497 mm (58.9 in)|
Hatchback:1,495 mm (58.9 in)
Station Wagon: 1,514 mm (59.6 in)
|Curb weight||Sedan: 1150-1270 kg|
Hatchback: 1195-1295 kg
Station Wagon: 1305-1350 kg
|Predecessor||Fiat Bravo (for hatchback)|
Fiat Linea (for sedan)
Fiat Stilo MultiWagon (for station wagon)
The Fiat Tipo (codeproject Type 356, also known as the Fiat Egea in Turkey and Dodge Neon in Mexico and Middle East), is a compact car. Its sedan version was unveiled at the 2015 Istanbul Motor Show in May 2015, and commenced sales in Turkey in October 2015. The sedan is not offered by Fiat in the United Kingdom.
In 2016, it was followed by a hatchback and a station wagon version, for the European market and the United Kingdom. The Tipo is assembled at the Tofaş plant in Bursa, Turkey, by the Italian automaker Fiat and is built on the Fiat Small Wide LWB platform.
It replaced the Bravo and Linea in the C-segment range. The Tipo was designed by Centro Stile Fiat in Mirafiori, Turin, and co developed by Tofaş, a joint venture between the Fiat Group and Koç Holding. In December 2015, the car won the 2016 Best Buy Car of Europe Award, from the Autobest jury made up of Europe's twenty six leading journalists, from twenty six different European countries.
In February 2019 the 500,000th Fiat Tipo was produced at the Bursa plant, in Turkey.
The Project Ægea
The development of the Tipo family began in 2014 when Fiat announced the Ægea project (Type 356) developed in a joint venture between Fiat (FCA Italy) and Tofas. Specifically, the Italian manufacturer was building a family of C-segment cars to be marketed in EMEA to replace both the old Fiat Bravo (198) hatchback and the Fiat Linea (323) sedan. The production site chosen was the Turkish Bursa plant (owned by Fiat and Tofas), which already produced the previous Linea. Alfredo Altavilla, at the time director of the EMEA area of the FCA Italy group, and Olivier François, director of Fiat brand, declared that the Ægea family had been built according to the Fiat "Rational" range (including Panda, Punto, Fiorino and Doblò) vehicles characterized by functional solution, low running costs, spacious interior and low price list.
The first version to be presented was the three-volume saloon at the Instabul Motor Show in May 2015; called Fiat Egea, the car went into production in November of the same year, replacing the Linea in the Fiat range of products in Turkey. The name Egea is used only on the Turkish market because the term is a very well-known term among the Turkish population as it identifies both the Aegean Sea that bathes the coasts of Turkey and the ancient medieval town of Yumurtalık. Production started in October of the same year for the Turkish market. Later the hatchback 5 door and station wagon versions were announced for spring 2016 with a different name on the European markets. In october 2015 Alfredo Altavilla announced that the official name of the cars for the European market would be Fiat Tipo, taking the historical name of the Fiat model of the 80s known for its spacious interior and low running costs. Fiat and Tofas have invested a total of 1.5 million dollars for the development and production of the Tipo.
The Tipo in the European market
In november 2015 sales of the Fiat Tipo sedan start in Italy, Spain and France. The 5-door hatchback and station wagon versions are presented at the Geneva Motor Show in March 2016. In 2016, the Tipo is officially on sale in all three of its variants throughout Europe, to the exception of the United Kingdom where the sedan three volumes it is not imported due to the low demand for this type of vehicle. At the debut the engine range consisted of the 1.4 Fire 16V petrol delivering 95 hp, the 1.6 E.torQ 16V with 110 hp, the 1.3 Multijet II 16V diesel with 95 hp and 1.6 Multijet II diesel with 120 hp.
In 2017 the Tipo range is enlarged with the entry of the Van station wagon variant available in the countries of southern Europe with a two-seater cabin. Also in 2017 are introduced the bifuel variants (called EasyPower) powered by petrol and LPG.
The Tipo in other markets
In addition to the European market, the Tipo is also sold in 2016 in Africa in hatchback and sedan version. Originally the Tipo had been developed to be sold in 40 world markets. In 2016 FCA decided to sell it also in Mexico under the name Dodge Neon in the only three-volume saloon variant as the Dodge brand has a sales network in Mexico far larger than that of the Fiat brand. Moreover the name Neon takes the name of the homonymous Dodge model produced by Chrysler Group in the nineties and two thousand that in Mexico has been very successful. From 2017 also in the Middle East the Tipo is sold as Dodge Neon. In South America, the Tipo sedan is sold under the Fiat brand only in Argentina and Chile, as the Italian brand already offers the Fiat Cronos, a compact sedan produced in Córdoba, Argentina slightly more compact than the Tipo.
The Fiat Tipo design was created by the Centro Stile Fiat located in the Officina 83 of the Fiat Mirafiori Plant. At the head of the style the team led by Alberto Dilillo e Roberto Giolito. Compared to the previous Linea and Bravo, the Tipo is designed first in the three-volume sedan form independent from the remaining two versions so as to create a more harmonious and elegant body. Alberto Dilillo declares that the inspiration of the designers for the front comes directly from the Maserati models with the headlights connected to the grille and the air intakes with three-dimensional chrome elements. The front has a lower shape and developed horizontally, while the previous Linea and Bravo had a much more inclined snout and connected with the windshield. In the rear, the trunk lid has a shape that simulates a spoiler. The hatchback and station wagon versions have the same front, the hatchback also inherits the same side of the four-door sedan including the doors, the station wagon instead has specific rear doors.
The Fiat Tipo sedan is 4,532 meters long, 1,497 meters high and 1,792 meters wide with a wheelbase of 2,638 meter and a five-seat passenger compartment with a 520 liter trunk. The hatchback have the same wheelbase but the bodywork is 4,368 meters long, 1,495 meters high and 1,792 meters wide. The trunk has a capacity of 440 liters. The station wagon it is 4.571 meters long, 1,792 meters wide and 1,514 meters high and has the same wheelbase as the sedan and hatchaback versions. The minimum luggage capacity is 550 liters.
The interior of the Tipo has two different dashboards depending on the trim level. The base models have the upper part that integrates the radio or the Uconnect 5-inch infotainment system connected to the instrumentation, while the top models have the upper part with the tablet-style 7-inch Uconnect HD infotainment system. The lower part of the dashboard is identical for all versions and is inherited from the Fiat Punto (199). The right-hand drive models have a single dashboard for all trim levels, the same as the LHD models in the basic version with the upper dashboard connected to the instrumentation and which integrates the various 5-inch and 7-inch Uconnect infotainment systems.
The base chassis is the front-wheel drive Small Wide modular platform with a long wheelbase, an enlarged and extended version of the Small platform. The front suspension use a McPherson structure with telescopic shock absorbers and rear suspension use a torsion beam and telescopic shock absorbers. The same Small Wide platform is used by many Fiat Chrysler Automobiles group cars such as the Fiat 500L, Fiat 500X, Jeep Renegade, etc. Production takes place at the Bursa plant in Turkey, which already produced the Fiat Linea, also based on the previous Small platform.
|1.4 16V FIRE||1368 cc I4||Petrol||6 speed manual||95 PS (70 kW; 94 hp) at 6,000 rpm||127 N⋅m (94 lb⋅ft) at 4,500 rpm||133 g/km|
|1.4 16V T-Jet EasyPower||1368 cc I4 Turbo||Petrol and LPG||6 speed manual||120 PS (88 kW; 120 hp) at 5,000 rpm||215 N⋅m (159 lb⋅ft) at 2,500 rpm||140 g/km|
|1.6 16V E.torQ||1598 cc I4||Petrol and Bioethanol||6 speed automatic||110 PS (81 kW; 110 hp) at 5,500 rpm||152 N⋅m (112 lb⋅ft) at 4,500 rpm||146 g/km|
|1.3 16V MultiJet II||1248 cc I4 Turbo||Common rail diesel||5 speed manual||95 PS (70 kW; 94 hp) at 4,000 rpm||200 N⋅m (148 lb⋅ft) at 1,500 rpm||110 g/km|
|1.6 16V MultiJet II||1598 cc I4 Turbo||Common rail Diesel||6 speed manual||120 PS (88 kW; 120 hp) at 3,750 rpm||320 N⋅m (236 lb⋅ft) at 1,750 rpm||110 g/km|
|6 speed DCT automatic|
The test for Euro NCAP was changed for 2016, so that every car would be tested with standard equipment and additionally with "safety pack" if safety equipment is considered as optional extra. The Tipo had only three stars in the Euro NCAP test with standard equipment, and four stars with speed limiter and brake assistance.
|Calendar year||Italy||Germany||France||Spain||Europe||Turkey as Egea||United Kingdom||México as Neon||Argentina|
|Total sales Global||399,757|
- Roberto Perez S (2016-03-15). "Así es el nuevo Dodge Neon 2017 para Mexico". Vision Automotriz. Retrieved 2016-03-16.
- "Dodge Neon 2017 Test Drive". Motoraty.com. 2016-09-28. Retrieved 2016-10-11.
- "Fiat 5-Year Plan" (PDF).
- "2016 Fiat Tipo 1.6 118bhp Multijet II review". Autocar. 13 October 2015. Retrieved 13 October 2015.
- "New Fiat Tipo confirmed for UK launch". www.autocar.co.uk. 12 October 2015. Retrieved 15 November 2018.
- "New Fiat Tipo Autobest 2016". Fiat. Retrieved 2016-07-02.
- "Fiat Tipo reaches the 500,000 units milestone". Fiat Press. 20 February 2019. Retrieved 21 February 2019.
- Motor1.com (ed.). "Fiat Tipo, "è l'auto per il dopocrisi". Intervista a Olivier François". Retrieved 20 December 2018.
- "Progetto Fiat Ægea, ecco la nuova Compact Sedan per il mercato globale". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Altavilla: "Berlina in autunno, hatchback e wagon nel 2016"". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Ecco la nuova tre volumi, in Italia da dicembre". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Fiat unveils Turkish-made Tipo/Egea hatchback". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "In Italia partono gli ordini della nuova Fiat Tipo". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Salone di Ginevra, arrivano cinque porte e Station Wagon". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Gpl per la berlina, turbobenzina per le altre". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "The Dodge Neon is alive!". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Meet The 2018 Dodge Neon – The Sedan For The Middle East & Mexico". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Lanzamiento: Fiat Tipo". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "El Fiat Tipo 2019 vuela de Europa a Chile". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Fiat Tipo: Ritorno alle origini". autodesignmagazine.com. 15 November 2016. Retrieved 18 December 2015.
- "Fiat Tipo, così torna un nome storico". Il Sole 24 Ore. 13 October 2015. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- Flex fuel in some markets
- "Official Fiat Tipo 2016 safety rating". www.euroncap.com. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Sales of Fiat-Lancia-Alfa Romeo-Jeep in Italy - Vendite di auto FCA in Italia". www.carsitaly.net. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Sales of Fiat-Lancia-Alfa Romeo-Jeep in Germany - Vendite di auto FCA in Germania". www.carsitaly.net. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Sales of Fiat-Lancia-Alfa Romeo-Jeep in France - Vendite di auto FCA in Francia". www.carsitaly.net. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "(Fiat Car Sales Spain)". Cars Italy. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- "Sales of Fiat-Lancia-Alfa Romeo-Jeep in Europe - Vendite di auto FCA in Europa". www.carsitaly.net. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Sales of Fiat-Lancia-Alfa Romeo in Turkey - Vendite di auto FCA in Turchia". www.carsitaly.net. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- Motor Pasión (Los 356 autos más vendidos de México durante 2018 (sí, la lista completa)
- Cars Italy (Sales México)
- Sandra Díaz Fernández (3 September 2018). "Vende FCA México 7,438 unidades en agosto". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Sales of Fiat-Chrysler in Mexico - Vendite di auto FCA in Messico". www.carsitaly.net. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "FCA México inició el año con ventas de 7,514 unidades". 1 February 2018. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "Vision Automotriz(fca-mexico-reporta-en-marzo-ventas-de-7280-unidades)". Vision Automotriz. 2018-12-14. Retrieved 2018-12-20.
- Auto Dato (Ventas 2018 Argentina Jeep Logra Entrar al Top 10)
- "(Fiat Cars Sales Italy)". Cars Italy. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "Cars Germany (Fiat Cars Sales Germany)". Carsitaly.net. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "Cars France (Fiat Cars Sales France)". Carsitaly.net. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "Cars Spain (Fiat Cars Sales Spain)". Carsitaly.net. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "Cars Europe (Fiat Cars Sales Europe)". Carsitaly.net. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "Cars Turkey (Fiat Cars Turkey)". Carsitaly.net. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "Sales of Fiat-Lancia-Alfa Romeo-Jeep in United Kingdom - Vendite di auto FCA nel Regno Unito". www.carsitaly.net. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "FCA México reporta ventas de 8,493 unidades". 1 November 2017. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- Economía. "(Fiat Chrysler Automobiles reporta su mejor enero en ventas)". 20 Minutos. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- Redacción. "Zócalo (Colocó FCA-Chrysler 32 mil 809 en el primer cuatrimestre)". Zocalo.com.mx. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- "(Ventas Febrero 2017)". FCA Northamerica. 2017-01-03. Retrieved 2017-06-02.
- FCA Northamerica (Ventas Febrero 2017)
- FCA México (FCA México reporta mejor mayo desde 2013 )
- García, Enrique (20 April 2017). "Aquí los 70 modelos más vendidos en México en el primer trimestre". Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- "FCA México reporta el mejor primer semestre en ventas de los últimos 8 años". Vanguardia. Retrieved 18 December 2018.
- FCA México (FCA México reporta un crecimiento en ventas del 11% en julio 2017)
- FCA México (FCA México Reporta el Mejor Agosto en Ventas desde 2008)
- FCA México (FCA México reporta ventas por 8,544 unidades)
- FCA Mexico (FCA-México-reporta-ventas-de-8,488-unidades)
- FCA México (FCA-México-reporta-en-diciembre-ventas-de-9,588-unidades)
- "(Fiat Car Sales Italy)". Cars Italy. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "(Fiat Car Sales Germany)". Cars Italy. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "(Fiat Car Sales France)". Cars Italy. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "(Fiat Car Sales Spain)". Cars Italy. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "(Fiat Car Sales Europe)". Cars Italy. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- "(Fiat Car Sales Turkey)". Cars Italy. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- Pone FCA fin a producción del Dodge Dart y Chrysler 200. "Al Volante (Pone FCA Fin a Producción del Dodge Dart y Chrysler 200)". Alvolante.info. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- Category: Corporativos. "FCA México (FCA México Reporta Incremento en Ventas 5% en noviembre 2016)". Fcamexico.com.mx. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- Category: Corporativos. "FCA México (FCA México reporta en diciembre las mejores ventas desde 2007)". Fcamexico.com.mx. Retrieved 2017-01-09.
- Include Europe, Turkey, Argetina and Mexico
- "Fiat Egea spotted in the wild". Motoring.com. Retrieved September 7, 2015.
|Wikimedia Commons has media related to Fiat Tipo (type 356).|
|City car||126||Cinquecento||Seicento / 600|
|Panda I||Panda II||Panda III|
|Supermini||Hatchback||127||Punto I||Punto II|
|Uno||Palio||Grande Punto||Punto Evo||Punto|
|Compact car||Hatchback||Ritmo||Tipo||Bravo I / Brava||Stilo||Bravo II||Tipo|
|Mid-size car||132||Argenta||Croma I||Croma II|
|Cabriolet||Ritmo Cabrio||Punto Cabrio||500C|
|LAV||Fiorino I||Fiorino II||Fiorino III / Qubo|
|Doblò I||Doblò II|
|Large MPV||Ulysse I||Ulysse II||Freemont|
|LCV||Daily||Scudo I||Scudo II||Talento|
|Ducato I||Ducato II||Ducato III|