Type of site
FindArticles was a website which provided access to articles previously published in over 3,000 magazines, newspapers, journals, business reports and other sources. The site offered free and paid content through the HighBeam Research database. In 2007, FindArticles accessed over 11 million resource articles, going back to 1998.
2000–2007: Founding and growth
By early-August 2000, the FindArticles database contained more than 862,000 articles and by September 2000, the database contained more than 1 million articles.
In September 2004, HighBeam Research announced that it would make 1 million premium articles from its database accessible via FindArticles. By May 2005, FindArticles contained more than 5 million articles in its database.
2007–present: CNET purchase and CNET ownership
FindArticles remained a part of LookSmart throughout the various changes in that company until it was sold to CNET Networks for $20.5 million on November 9, 2007, as part of a larger sell-off of LookSmart properties.
Looksmart's need to offload non-critical assets in the wake of poor corporate performance, along with CNET's commensurate desire to expand its library of offerings, motivated the deal. FindArticles' SEO value—i.e., the frequency with which its articles appear as search engine results—likely factored into the final purchase price.
- Price, Gary; Kennedy, Shirl (2007-11-09). "LookSmart Sells FindArticles to CNET Networks for $20.5 Million in Cash". Resource Shelf. Archived from the original on 2008-06-23. Retrieved 2008-07-18. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Schwartz, Matthew (2008-02-11). "Bnet.com branches out: CNET business information site bulks up its content offerings". BtoB Online. BtoB. Archived from the original on 2011-07-21. Retrieved 2008-07-18. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- "CNET spends $20.5 million on news site FindArticles". www.cyzone.cn. 2007-11-09. Archived from the original on 2019-02-14. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- Russell, Terrence (2007-11-08). "CNet Buys FindArticles From a Similarly Regrouping LookSmart". Wired Blog Network. Wired. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "Cases and Issues in the News". American Antitrust Institute. Archived from the original on 2008-05-03. Retrieved 2008-07-18. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- MacLeod, Roddy (August 2000). "A-Z New Websites". Internet Resources Newsletter. Heriot-Watt University Library. Archived from the original on 2000-08-15. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- Eldon, Eric (2008-11-08). "CNet buys FindArticles.com from LookSmart for $20.5 million". Venture Beat. Retrieved 2008-07-18.
- "FindArticles.com WHOIS, DNS, & Domain Info - DomainTools". whois.domaintools.com. Retrieved 2018-12-16.
- Tomaiuolo, Nicholas (2004). The Web Library: Building a World Class Personal Library with Free Web Resources. Information Today, Inc. p. 19. ISBN 0910965676.
- "About FindArticles". FindArticles.com. Archived from the original on 2002-10-02. Retrieved 2019-02-15.
- Jacso, Peter (2000-11-01). "FindArticles.com Embraces Free Content Trend". The Free Library by Farlex. Retrieved 2019-02-14.
- "HighBeam Research Partners With LookSmart". EContent Magazine. 2004-09-03. Archived from the original on 2004-09-28. Retrieved 2019-02-26.
- Patterson, Ben (2005-05-10). "LookSmart review: LookSmart". CNET. Archived from the original on 2019-02-26. Retrieved 2019-02-26. Cite uses deprecated parameter
- Nicole, Kristen (2007-04-04). "LookSmart Partners with Blinkx". Mashable. Retrieved 2019-04-23.
- "LOOKSMART, LTD. 2007 Form 10-K Annual Report". U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.
- Nicole, Kristen (2007-11-07). "CNet Acquires FindArticles: Part of its Refocus?". Mashable. Retrieved 2008-07-18.