Flora MacLeod of MacLeod
Dame Flora MacLeod of MacLeod
Dame Flora MacLeod of MacLeod (1934)
Flora Louisa Cecilia MacLeod
3 February 1878
|Died||4 November 1976 (aged 98)|
|Resting place||Clan MacLeod burial ground, Kilmuir, Dunvegan, Isle of Skye, Scotland|
|Residence||Dunvegan Castle, Isle of Skye, Scotland|
|Known for||The Dame Flora MacLeod of MacLeod Trophy for Open Piobaireachd|
|Spouse(s)||Hubert Walter (m. 1901- 1933; his death)|
|Parent(s)||Sir Reginald MacLeod (father)|
|Relatives||Stafford Northcote (grandfather)|
Her mother was Lady Agnes Mary Cecilia Northcote and her father, Sir Reginald MacLeod, became chief of the Clan MacLeod in 1929. She was elected President of the clan's society and went to live with her father at Dunvegan Castle in Skye, where she became a county councillor for Bracadale.
As the MacLeod clan chief
Widowed in 1933, and upon the death of her father in 1935, Flora MacLeod of MacLeod (as she would be thenceforth known) inherited the estate and was recognised as 28th Clan Chief. Years later, to raise income, she opened Dunvegan Castle to tourists, turning it into a popular tourist attraction. Following World War II she travelled widely, establishing Clan MacLeod Societies throughout the British Commonwealth.
She was created a DBE in 1953. She lived at Dunvegan Castle until 1973 before moving to Ythan Lodge in Aberdeenshire, where she died in 1976, aged 98. She is buried in the traditional Clan MacLeod burial ground at Kilmuir, near Dunvegan.
|Ancestors of Flora MacLeod of MacLeod|
Coat of arms
Her coat of arms are described thus:
- I and IV azure a castle triple towered and embattled argent masoned sable windowed and porched gules and II and III gules three legs in armour proper garnished and spurred Or flexed and conjoined in triangle at the upper part of the thigh.
- Crest and mantle
- Upon a torse Or and azure, A bull's head cabossed sable horned Or between two flags gules staves sable, the mantling azure double Or.
- Two lions reguardant gules armed and langued azure each holding a dagger proper
- Biodata, scran.ac.uk; accessed 29 March 2016.
- "Hubert Walter". New York Times. 22 December 1933. p. 21. Retrieved 8 March 2015.
- Kelly, John Davidson (2004). "MacLeod, Dame Flora Louisa Cecilia". Oxford dictionary of national biography. Oxford: Oxford University Press. doi:10.1093/ref:odnb/57013. Retrieved 20 January 2017.
- Tours by Dame Flora MacLeod
- Profile, thepeerage.com; accessed 29 March 2016.
- Notice of death of John MacLeod of MacLeod, telegraph.co.uk; accessed 29 March 2016.
- The Dame Flora MacLeod of MacLeod Trophy for Open Piobaireachd, clanmacleodusa.org; accessed 29 March 2016.