Florida's 17th congressional district
|Florida's 17th congressional district|
Florida's 17th congressional district - since January 3, 2017
|Area||6,315 sq mi (16,360 km2)|
Florida's 17th congressional district is an electoral district for the U.S. Congress, located in south-central Florida. The district includes a large area of central Florida from eastern Tampa Bay to the western shores of Lake Okeechobee.
From 2003 to 2013 it was located in South Florida, and was a majority African American district. It included the southern parts of Broward County and the eastern parts of Miami-Dade County. Included within the district were Pembroke Pines, Hollywood, Miramar, and North Miami. Most of this district is now the 24th District.
The current 17th was created after the 2010 census from portions of the old 12th and 16th Districts. Most of the district's territory came from the western portion of the old 16th. That district's second-term congressman, Republican Tom Rooney, ran for reelection in the 17th in 2012 and won. He was re-elected in 2014 and 2016, but did not for re-election in 2018. Greg Steube was elected on November 6th.
List of members representing the district
District created January 3, 1983.
|Representative||Party||Years||Congress||Electoral history||Congressional map|
|Democratic||January 3, 1983 –
January 3, 1993
|Redistricted from the 13th district.
|Democratic||January 3, 1993 –
January 3, 2003
|Democratic||January 3, 2003 –
January 3, 2011
|Retired to run for U.S. Senator.|
|Democratic||January 3, 2011 –
January 3, 2013
|112th||Redistricted to the 24th district.|
|Republican||January 3, 2013 –
January 3, 2019
|Redistricted from the 16th district.
|Republican||January 3, 2019 –
|116th||Elected in 2018.|
Recent results in presidential races
|1992||Bill Clinton 74% - George H. W. Bush 18% - Ross Perot 7%|
|1996||Bill Clinton 85% - Bob Dole 12%|
|2000||Al Gore 84% - George W. Bush 15%|
|2004||John Kerry 83% - George W. Bush 17%|
|2008||Barack Obama 87% - John McCain 12%|
|2012||Mitt Romney 58% - Barack Obama 41%|
|2016||Donald Trump 62% - Hillary Clinton 35%|
|Democratic||Frederica S. Wilson||106,361||86.21|
Living former representatives
As of January 2017[update], there are four living former members of the House from the district.
|Representative||Term of office||Date of birth (and age)|
|Carrie P. Meek||1993–2003||April 29, 1926|
|Kendrick Meek||2003–2011||September 6, 1966|
|Frederica Wilson||2011–2013||November 5, 1942|
|Tom Rooney||2013–2019||November 21, 1970|
- "Congressional Plan--SC14-1905 (Ordered by The Florida Supreme Court, 2-December-2015)" (PDF). Florida Senate Committee on Reapportionment. Retrieved 11 January 2017.
- "Partisan Voting Index – Districts of the 115th Congress" (PDF). The Cook Political Report. April 7, 2017. Retrieved April 7, 2017.
- Leary, Alex (February 19, 2018). "Rep. Tom Rooney will not seek re-election". Tampa Bay Times. Tampa, FL. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- Persons, Sally (February 19, 2018). "Rep. Tom Rooney will not seek re-election: Report". Washington Times. Washington, DC. Retrieved February 19, 2018.
- Martis, Kenneth C. (1989). The Historical Atlas of Political Parties in the United States Congress. New York: Macmillan Publishing Company.
- Congressional Biographical Directory of the United States 1774–present