Food trucks in Tampa, Florida
Food trucks have become a popular phenomenon in Tampa and St. Petersburg, Florida. Food trucks have a large following in and around downtown Tampa the first rally was At Hyde Park Presbyterian Church created by Tampa Bay Food Trucks. The well attended event with 10 trucks caught the mayors attention and they have been supported by Tampa mayor Bob Buckhorn ever since who organizes a monthly food truck rally downtown. There is also an evening of food trucks and short movies (Flicks and Food Trucks) between downtown and the Channelside District. Food truck rallies drawing thousands of people have taken place in Seminole Heights and South Tampa. A regular food truck event is also held at the farmer's market in Odessa, Florida with live music.
St. Petersburg followed suit at the end of 2011 with the city council moving to ease restrictions on their operation.
A "Food Truck Square" was established in 2012 at Monstah Lobstah (1901 Platt Street) for food truck offerings 7-days-a-week. On August 31, 2013, Tampa hosted the world's largest food truck rally with 99 food trucks attending. The previous record of 62 trucks was set in Miami, Florida. Tampa broke its own record with 121 food trucks at a rally in March 2014.
Food trucks in downtown Tampa have included Burger Culture, Not Your Ordinary food truck (NYOFoodTruck), Michelle Faedo, Killer Samich, La Creperia Café, Maggie on the Move, Stinky Bunz, O'Macalicious, 3suns Organic, Mobile Munchiez, The Cuppin Cake, Taco Bus, Fat Tortillas, Jerk Hut, Coconut Bo's, Nelly Nel's, Fire Monkey, Gone Bananas and Wicked 'Witches. Taco Bus's stationary restaurant on Hillsborough Avenue has branched out into two restaurant locations in St. Petersburg, Florida and downtown Tampa. Food trucks are also a fixture at special events and concerts. Critics point to the competition the trucks create for existing restaurants.
- Laura Reiley Tampa food truck rally features cheap meals on wheels September 1, 2011 Tampa Bay Times
- Jodie Tillman Food trucks roll more variety into downtown Tampa lunch scene November 3, 2011 Tampa Bay Times
- Marissa Lang St. Petersburg poised to do an about-face on food trucks December 21, 2011 Tampa Bay Times
- Marissa Lang [A food truck rally every day of the week] February 16, 2012 TBT.com
- World's largest food truck rally descends on Tampa August 31, 2013
- About Miami Food Trucks
- Food Truck Rally sets world record March 31, 2014, Tampa Bay Business Journal
- Food truck rally today in downtown Tampa TBO.com March 07, 2012 TBO.com