Foreign aid to East Timor
|This article is part of a series on the|
politics and government of
|East Timor portal|
Timor Leste, since its creation in 1999, has received aid from many different parts of the International Community to help stabilise this new country. Despite this international support, East Timor still has stability issues.
After the East Timor Special Autonomy Referendum, the United Nations Transitional Administration in East Timor administered the country to ensure the proper creation of the government. This organisation was supported by a large coalition of international troops led by Australia titled International Force for East Timor. Since then, similar coalitions of forces have had to intervene in the 2006 East Timorese crisis in Operation Astute.
United Nations Integrated Mission in Timor-Leste
Part of the program was a program to support the Government of Timor-Leste (GOTL) to enhance democratic governance and facilitate political dialogue. The presidential and parliamentary electoral support programs included technical and logistical support and electoral policy advice and verification. One of the more significant programs was the presence of 1,635 UN police officers for elections.
Food Crisis 2007
Electoral Process Development
USAID began supporting the development of effective democratic electoral and political processes in Timor-Leste in 1999. Between 2001 and 2008, USAID gave $2,215,997 to International Foundation for Electoral Systems(IFES), $3,619,134 to the International Republican Institute(IRI), and $3,728,490 to the National Democratic Institute(NDI). This money supported IFES in developing electoral framework and process, IRI in developing political parties, and NDI on increasing citizen participation and local governance.
- "Background" in ELECTIONS AND POLITICAL PROCESSES pp 6-10
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1802. S/RES/1802(2008) (2008) Retrieved 6 September 2008.
- United Nations Security Council Resolution 1867. S/RES/1867(2009) (2009) Retrieved 7 October 2009.
- Voice of America, 24.06.07, East Timor Facing Food Crisis Archived 14 July 2007 at the Wayback Machine and Ministry of Agriculture, Forestry and Fisheries of Timor-Leste.
- "Executive Summary" and "Background" in ELECTIONS AND POLITICAL PROCESSES pp 1-6
- ELECTIONS AND POLITICAL PROCESSES PROGRAM IN TIMOR-LESTE (PDF) (Report). USAID. February 2008.